Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part number in pipes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
TONELLAL
1060 Views, 7 Replies

Part number in pipes

Hello,

How can I get the Part Number property in pipe parts ? In the family table the part number exist, it is mapped to the Part Number property, but when I create a piping the Part number is empty.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: TONELLAL

We've been down this road before.  Seems to me the answer was that this is intended functionality since some companies put a different part number on each spool of pipe, based on length.  It sounds like you do the same as we do, put a part number based on diameter and material.  Unfortunately, the only way I have found to do this is to edit the BOM after all the pipes are placed, and add the part numbers there.  I do a lot of cutting and pasting.

Message 3 of 8
TONELLAL

According to Inventor, pipe parts don't have Part Number, instead they have a Stock Number. So I can merge on Stock number, but this means I have 2 properties : Part Number and Stock number, which are used for the same thing.

In the pipe Family Table, Part Number = {Stock Number}-{PL}, and Stock Number ={Stock Number}. The problem is that Part Number is not populated for Pipes parts. Even if I map the column Part Number on the property Part Number, pipe parts remain without part nnumber ! Perhaps there is a way to unlock this specificity ?

Message 4 of 8
mikebelter

When I open from content center the library included with inventor populates the Part Number for the member created. Are you inserting from your custom content center? If so something may have happened to your template. If it has been defined to populate the Part Number then it should. I have learned that with Content Center there is no easy way. You may have to recreate your Content Center pipe library.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 5 of 8
jasonh70
in reply to: mikebelter

I combine my pipes with stock number and cut length.  So members with the same length are grouped together.  In the part number section of the BOM, I put in an expression like '<Stock Number> X <L>', then group in my parts list by part number. 

Kinda silly that we have to do that, but it works.

Inventor Professional 2014 Build 222
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07 GHz, 12GB RAM, Win7 SP1
Message 6 of 8
howardlee306

We went into our family table in centent center editor and gave them all our part numbers. Then we set each one to be a custome part with the length as the variable. So for example placing a 2" schedule 80 pipe 12 inche long it looks like this SCH 80 SMLS BLK 2 [12]... The 12 in the brackets does not display in the part number. We can view pipes by individual length or through total sum of lengths. Took a while to setup but save hours of time. The attached image is what our selection screen looks like.

Message 7 of 8
TONELLAL
in reply to: howardlee306

This work for custom parts, if you manually insert a pipe in your assembly. But when using piping module, so with routings and populating routings from styles, then Part Number property is empty...

If we could use formulas in partlist or BOM, we could have something like : "IF Part Number is empty THEN use Stock Number".

Message 8 of 8
vheller

Hello everybody.

I noticed this question from TONELLAL is pretty old, but no reply so far... I use Inventor 2013, an have same problem. Pipes as a custom part in assembly are mapped with PART NUMBER, but populated from piping route - not. Any legal way to override this limitation?

AUTODESK people! Any ideas?

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report