Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part help. Spring to heavy on computer? Another choice?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Callesson
443 Views, 9 Replies

Part help. Spring to heavy on computer? Another choice?

Hello!

I'm fairly new to Inventor and mechanical design.

Right now I have a machine that I'm designing in Inventor.

It has a tension spring that is (0.6x5x600) around 600mm long, 5mm diameter. And the string is 0.6.

You can see it on the picture. (The one on the picture is 300mm long only).

Am I able to make this one in Inventor just like is is in reality or will i just have to make a normal round sweap? Or can I use texture or what is your advice?

Its nothing death serious but it could be good to know for me.

Thanks

//p

Autodesk Inventor 2015 User
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
chris30
in reply to: Callesson

The Spring Design Accelerator will not design this???

Message 3 of 10
blair
in reply to: chris30

I guess, you could use the coil command for the main body and create a couple of sweeps for the hooks on each end.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10
Callesson
in reply to: blair

"The Spring Design Accelerator will not design this???"

I'm not that familiar to the SDA but I will look it up. Maybe it will work.

@Blair wrote:

I guess, you could use the coil command for the main body and create a couple of sweeps for the hooks on each end.

Something like that could work yes.
But what i FAILED to say was that I want it to be a circle. Like it shows on this picture that I'm attaching now. (The highlighted circle)

Sorry for late respond and missing out that information.

Thanks for now 🙂

Message 5 of 10
blair

If you were on IV2015, new features were added that would help you. With your post showing IV2012 you are out of luck creating the spring using the coil with sweep command. I also suspect that this complex part would really slow your model down.

Capture1.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10
Callesson

@Blair wrote:

If you were on IV2015, new features were added that would help you. With your post showing IV2012 you are out of luck creating the spring using the coil with sweep command. I also suspect that this complex part would really slow your model down.

Ah alright, that sounded sweet with the IV15, to bad with the other part. Thank you.

I tried a couple weeks ago to make it with a command that bends your part (Bend command I belive?". >but as you said, it did slow my model down very very much.

So wanted to know if there was a chance of doing it without it slowing down. But guess I'll go with just a normal circle. And wish we can upgrade to 2015 🙂

How does it work with Textures btw? Can you download new ones and add to Inventor?

Thank you again Sir!

Message 7 of 10
blair

Yes, you can download textures/bit-maps. ADSK made a change to Materials and Colors in IV2013, hence it's been a couple of years since i've looked at IV2012. I would probably just use the "Thread" texture replicate the surface of the coiled spring. 

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 10
mpatchus

I would make a COPY of the thread color style called "SPRING".

This way if you can tweak the style without disturbing other parts which may use that style (especially when you migrate to a later version of the software in the future).

Adjust the SCALE and ROTATION to give you the desired effect.

Simulated Spring.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 9 of 10
Callesson

@Blair wrote:

Yes, you can download textures/bit-maps. ADSK made a change to Materials and Colors in IV2013, hence it's been a couple of years since i've looked at IV2012. I would probably just use the "Thread" texture replicate the surface of the coiled spring. 

Cool! Thank you very much 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Callesson
in reply to: mpatchus

@mpatchus wrote:

I would make a COPY of the thread color style called "SPRING".

This way if you can tweak the style without disturbing other parts which may use that style (especially when you migrate to a later version of the software in the future).

Adjust the SCALE and ROTATION to give you the desired effect.

Simulated Spring.JPG

Hi mpatchus!

That looked very nice! I belive I will try this.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Kind regards

Calle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report