Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part file gone?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Jaychale
313 Views, 6 Replies

Part file gone?

Just had a few strange things happen in my assembly, grafix going bonkers, and such (Fairly complicated centrifuge assembly), so I restarted the computer.

Usually that fixes most problems, right?

Well this time, upon my return, one of the parts in the assembly is missing, and for all my searching I have no idea what happened to it.

I can see where it should be, based on IV's searching for the missing file, and the "Old version" backup folder, but what happened?

Yes I checked the recycle bin.

Here is a photo of the folder in question, and it's "Old Version" folder

The file missing is Bowl Tapered End.ipt

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BeKirra
in reply to: Jaychale

Check if you changed the project file (*.ipj) you used to use for this drawing to another.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 7
blair
in reply to: BeKirra

Good question, you can always copy the Old-Version back into your Work Directory and edit the name to eliminate the Version. Possibly it was dragged to a different folder. A Windows Search should show it on your system.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 7
Jaychale
in reply to: blair

I checked the project file, it had not changed, but I don't see how the project file could make changes to the file system outside of inventor anyway.

I searched all attached drives, No hits.

Message 5 of 7
dan_inv09

Was anything going on with that specific part when things were "going bonkers"? (I would think there would be a NewVer of the file if Inventor screwed up while fiddling with it.)

It's a network location? Might someone else have done something to it?

Could you "Restore previous versions" from Explorer?

Message 6 of 7
Jaychale
in reply to: dan_inv09

Nothing really strange that I can think of, I was just adding (a lot) of bolts to the assembly that it is part of.

It is on the network, but it's just me and one other guy, and he wasn't doing anything to it.

I don't know anything about restore previous versions, I renamed the old version from the backup folder

Message 7 of 7
BeKirra

What I mean is that you need to make sure the "missing files" are in the project path.

By using Inventor, all drawing files are associated with project file.

In other word, if you do not using vault, you need to create a project file (single user project file) and set the project path when you start a new project.

And, usually all fasteners are generated by Inventor Content Center. You need to set the Content Center path to a specific folder in the project path with your project file.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report