Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Details from Assembly View

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dexterdweller
561 Views, 9 Replies

Part Details from Assembly View

Is there a quick way to detail parts from an assembly without having to browse to a part and then search through and select a part and insert a Base View?

For instance from within SolidWorks you can insert a view of an assembly and if you need to detail any part within that assembly you can simply click/select on the part in an assembly view and right click insert view then your View Menu pops up and you are moving forward. If you have to detail several parts you can spit out their Base Views in a matter of seconds. Even if you are making a seperate sheet just for the parts it is easier to insert an assembly view off the sheet and select the parts from there insert all of your part views then delete the assembly view if you want. You can also go to the properties of each view and link the balloons to your assembly BOM.

It is very useful if you are generating drawings such as I do with most parts for the assembly being detailed on the same sheets. 

Sorry to drag this out... just wanted to explain where I was coming from and where I wanted to go...

So is there a quick way to get the parts detailed?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: dexterdweller

Currently there is not that kind of functionality in Inventor, without jumping through a fair amount of hoops.

But, this has the making for a great idea for the Inventor IdeaStation.

If you submit one post it back here and I would vote for it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
BrandonBG

I'm having the same issue . . .exploding an assembly to parts that can be show on drawings.

Not sure if there's anything that can help you, but I posted a similar question in the Customization forum a couple weeks ago.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Flat-layout-of-parts-not-sheet-metal-w...

Brandon

Message 4 of 10

Hi! If I understand your request correctly, the way to do it in Inventor is different. Here is the automated view creation workflow.

1) Start a new Drawing file (IDW/DWG).

2) Go to Browser -> Drawing Resources -> Sheet Formats -> select one of the Sheet formats -> pick an assembly or a part.

The views will be created automatically.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
rdyson

Not quite as automatic, but:

In your IDW/DWG, expand the browser IAM node.

Right click on the part you want to detail and select open. IV will open the part in a new tab.

Go back to the IDW/DWG and start a new base view.

The open IPT/IAM's will be in the file drop down.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 10
BrandonBG
in reply to: rdyson

Never thought about opening the .ipt first, but that would save a little time.

But, the real issue is that when I have an assembly with 50+ parts, I'd love to be able to send them all to a drawing(s) laying down flat instead of manually adding base views.

Brandon

Message 7 of 10
dexterdweller
in reply to: Cadmanto

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

Check this out and let me know what you think. It is just too easy if you watch the video at the link I included in the post.

Message 8 of 10
dexterdweller
in reply to: rdyson

This is definately quicker than what doing now. Thanks for the input.

Check out the post I made in the IdeaStation:

and vote for it if you agree.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 10

What you are mentioning is a great tool however not exactly what I was looking for. I have created a post in the IdeaStation. Please look at it and see if I have explained it better there. When you are there I have included a link to a youtube video I posted that is very short and should be able to show what I am looking for.

IdeaStation Post:

Thanks for your input!

Message 10 of 10
PaulMunford

Check out weldments. They might help you with his workflow.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report