Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part colours

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
KevinPinks7697
196 Views, 1 Reply

Part colours

When I insert a scene (IPN) in my drawing and then I decide to change the colour of a particular part, I do, but the part colour is not updated in the drawing. Normally I can force the part to change colour by clicking on the part in the browser and then select the appearance drop-down and select a new colour. But this part in question is nested in an assembly which is part of the IPN, but selecting it in the browser does not show the appearance colour becuase it is an assembly and not a part?

Please help. I am using Inventor 2013

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi KevinPinks7697,

It's not obvious, and I think we all do it wrong before we figure out the "correct" way to do this, but I think the steps you need to take are as follows:

• Create a View Representation in the assembly file to manage color changes.
  • When you create your IPN view click the Options button and specify the View Representation in the assembly to use.
  • Rather than make color changes in the IPN file, make them in the assembly file using the View Representation.
  • In the drawing, make sure the drawing view has the Associative checkbox selected, so that changes in the model are automatically reflected in the drawing view.

So really the problem here is that the IPN enviroment is due for some updates. Some would say it was never really completed, and that the less than intuative way that we have to work with color changes is proof of this.

On that note here is an IdeaStation idea to improve the IPN tools that you might want to visit and show your support for:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Bring-the-presentation-environment-up-to-speed/id...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report