Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part/assembly configuration - Please help (Newbie)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
wolf1o
1152 Views, 12 Replies

Part/assembly configuration - Please help (Newbie)

Hi,

I'm new to Inventor 2012 (used it many years back) and usually use solidworks.

I'm used to do configuration on parts and assemblies where you can supress (turn on/off) for instance some of the features in one config and enable it in another. (Same for assemblies, where you can supress one part in one, and turn it on in another).

How do you do that in Inventor?

For instance, I have folded model which i need to add on it some fillets which aren't possible on the true flat part, and i thought the best way is to add a configuration with the required "after fold" features. but I don't know how to create such configuration and to supress the features on tthe master view.

I'd appreciate some quick explanation on how to make it.

Thanks!

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: wolf1o

@wolf1o wrote:

How do you do that in Inventor?

For instance, I have folded model which i need to add on it some fillets which aren't possible on the true flat part, and

Sounds to me like you are describing 3 completely different problems.
Attach this one first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
wolf1o
in reply to: JDMather

No, not all.

In solidworks you call it "configuration", whether it in a part or in an assembly.

In a part, You can add a configuration (as many as you like/neeD), and for instance decide that in one configuration some of the features are "Supressed".

In my case, I have a sheet metal part, and i want to create a configration in which I'll add features which aren't possible to do on a standard sheet metal part. (Like fillets along the external edges..which cannot be done when you cut a sheet of metal).

But this question is good for any thing you want to do on parts, not just this example of sheet metal.

The same with assembly:

If you have one assembly, but you want to add a configuration in which some parts/sub assemblies are not used and supressed, and in another they are..

Now it's more clear i hope...

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 4 of 13
mcgyvr

In Inventor they are called iparts and iassemblies

Try looking around in the help and come back with specific questions.

Your sheet metal example is really not a good example UNLESS you actually buy/build it without the fillets, then buy/build a different version with fillets.. Then it is accomplished with an ipart. But if its just one part that needs features that can't be accomplished in the sheet metal environment then you simply go to the model tab instead of the sheet metal tab and add those fillets (now I can't remember if the model tab is always exposed in the sheet metal environment or if I added that tab via customization but its there/can be added in the sheet metal environment.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 13
wolf1o
in reply to: mcgyvr

Ok.

So what you say is that i can do it with Ipart - i'll try it.

But you were right: I'm getting the part with these fillets, so probably the way you suggested with the model tab is better.In this way The added features won't be shown on the flat panel?Can you help me how to get to this panel?

Thanks!

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr

oops sorry missed the part about those not showing up on the flat pattern.. They will... So an ipart would be the way to go.

Simply googling "inventor create iparts" will give you tons of tips/videos,etc.. like http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10921207

Try it yourself.. post back if you have issues.. We will try to help.. This forum is excellent when it comes to helping other engineers/drafters,etc..

and don't forget about the wiki http://wikihelp.autodesk.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 13
wolf1o
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi,

I went to the ipart window, and now i have two rows, with one having the fature compute, and the second row with the feature suppressed.But what's now?how do I switch between them?

How can I choose it when i'm creating a drawing for instance.

I tried to wiki but it's doesn't show/says how to do it.(didn't find it...)

Please help:-)

Thanks

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 8 of 13
JDMather

@wolf1o wrote:

No, not all.

In solidworks ...

Now it's more clear i hope...

You must have missed the information in my signature. (in particular the CSWP)

This will all go a lot faster if you follow my instructions to look at one part of the problem at a time.
Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
wolf1o

Hi,

Managed to do it!

Many thanks!

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 10 of 13
JDMather

@wolf1o wrote:

Hi,

Managed to do it!

Many thanks!

Attach your file here to see if your solution is what others would do.

Did you manage to do all three questions you posted in this thread?

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
wolf1o

Just did the Ipart thing in a part. (sheet metal part)

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation
Message 12 of 13
JDMather

@wolf1o wrote:

Just did the Ipart thing in a part. (sheet metal part)

Attach the file here to see if that is how others would do it.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
wolf1o

Hope it helps...

Inventor 2012 Pro.
I7 workstation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report