Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameters, Unit/Type, Area

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dexterdweller
2272 Views, 5 Replies

Parameters, Unit/Type, Area

I am sure I am overlooking something.. However, here it is:

I am trying to create a simple STD flat part that will be a piece of plate. I have parameters for Length, Width, etc... And I am setting up a User parameter for UOM_QTY which I want to spit out the SQFT all dimensions are in inches. So my equation is of course width*length/144. Is there a way to add this to the Unit/Type so that I can just select it? When I pick the Unit/Type cell in the parameters and expand area all I see is circular_mil. So can you add to these options? The sqft is essentially what I want to populate my BOM in addition to the Length, Width etc...

Am I even making sense?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: dexterdweller

You can manually type in compound units. Type in: ft*ft

That should make your conversion unnecessary as well.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: dexterdweller

From the Wiki help on units in parameters:

To build a compound unit specification, such as in/sec, separate the individual units with the appropriate sign of operation, such as multiplication, division, or exponentiation.

So for square feet you would enter ft*ft, which shows up in the parameter as "ft^2".  I haven't tested this with real parts, but give it a shot.

Message 4 of 6
dexterdweller
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for such a speedy reply!

Message 5 of 6
dexterdweller
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for such a speedy reply!

Message 6 of 6

Unfortunately this wont allow you to use area units as Base Unit in modelling parameters because "Only parameters that have a value that are units of length, volume, or mass are valid."
Source - http://augi.typepad.com/augi_news/files/iv10_bom_whitepaper.pdf

To get things improved in one of next releases it probably worth to vote for the idea - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Area-units-in-Base-Quantity/idi-p/4387795

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report