Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameters in iProperties - iParts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mmckean
1996 Views, 4 Replies

Parameters in iProperties - iParts

Hello, I ran into this problem, and after half an hour of Google searches, I figured I should post here.

I need a parameter from an iPart to show up in my Parts List by using the Stock Number iProperty, then CHANGE with each variation of the iPart (PLATE BC-01, PLATE BC-02, PLATE BC-03, etc). I already have the parameter exported, named 'BOTTOM_A.' Stock number has the expression: '=1/4" HRS x <BOTTOM_A>.' 

However, this only works for that particular part. The number does not change when I place a Parts List for PLATE BC-02 and PLATE BC-03. All three have the same number. I found that the number corresponds to the active part. If I double-click PLATE BC-02 in the ipt file to show it, the number for the separate Parts Lists will all correspond to PLATE BC-02.

I've attached an image of the Parts Lists after double-clicking PLATE BC-02 in PLATE BC.ipt. I can include more if needed.

Using Inventor 2010

Thanks ahead of time!

-Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mmckean
in reply to: mmckean

Okay, the problem is only getting worse. I now have an iAssembly with three members total. Each member has varying iPart members according to overall size changes. So, each of the three assemblies has a drawing and a parts list. I am getting the same problem as before, where the parameter values placed into the Stock Number iProperty for the iPart members is the same for each member. PLATE BC-01, PLATE BC-02, and PLATE BC-03 all say: '1/4" HRS x 37 in', when each should have a different value.

Is there something I don't understand about iParts and iAssemblies here? This is the first job where I've gone about fully integrating iParts to create variable sizes in iAssemblies, and now I think I did something wrong... Please help 😕

-Mike

Message 3 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi mmckean,

Give this a try:

• Right click on the iPart table in the browser and choose Edit Table
  • Add the Stock Number iProperty to the iPart table as a column (look in the Properties tab,  expand the Project node)
  • Close the iPart Author dialog box
  • Right click on the iPart table in the browser and choose Edit Via Spreadsheet
  • Edit the top cell for the StockNumber colum and create an excel formula to reference the parameter you want to call into the Stock Number iProperty (example: =C2 & " thick plate" )
  • Use Excel's Copy/Fill to add the formula to each cell in the Stock Number column
  • Close Excel and save the changes.

Attached is an example file that you can open in Inventor 2010 to see this setup.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 5
mmckean
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

That did it! Thank you so much 🙂

I didn't know that the spreadsheet was the main storage place of all the iProperties. Glad I do now!

I do have a couple comments, if you don't mind:

1. The updating process is quite extensive and repetitive for the user. For example, because I didn't have the assembly file open, the drawing sheets would not update correctly. When I did have it open, every single change to an iPart had to be followed by a manual update of the assembly before seeing any changes to the drawing. I can see why this would be by design, though the drawing could possibly have a master update button, where it updates all referenced parts and assemblies. Just my thought.

2. I would have assumed that the formula I placed in the iProperties window for Stock Number would remain as a formula in the iPart table and also be translated into an Excel formula for the spreadsheet. If that had been the case, the original problem would not have happened. It seems as though the formula gets evaluated once when the iPart becomes active, then that value is the only value for Stock Number that exists for all parts. It is turned into a text value in the spreadsheet, and does not update as planned.

Oh, and I had the known problem of Inv 2010 not opening Excel when Edit via Spreadsheet is clicked. I found and used the fix, but it IS a bit of a bug.

Is any of that fixed in later versions?

Message 5 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi mmckean,

The thing to keep in mind about iParts is that they are essentially derived parts. But only information contained in the row for each member is derived into the iPart. This is also why the update process gets a bit involved.

As for the Excel bug, I think it was introduced with the new version of Excel, and therefore affects several versions of Inventor. There is a registery edit for Inventor 2012, but I'm not sure if a hotfix has been released.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report