Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter Trace Utility

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cadman777
314 Views, 6 Replies

Parameter Trace Utility

Does someone use, or can they direct me to, a 3rd party add-on that allows me to trace a parameter throughout an entire project?

I want it to be able to show me what files the parameter is in, where they are used, and, if possible, allow me to substitute a new parameter for the existing one.

The reason I need for this is b/c when doing skeletal modeling, sometimes some of the linked parameters get deleted or become obsolete, and need to be changed in the down-line links. I need a way to trace that parent file parameter into all the child files and locations in each of the child files, so it can be fixed. Otherwise, the child files will break their links w/their parent file/parameters, and not update when the based skeletal sketch is changed.

Thanx

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: cadman777

I don't know of anything around. Possibly look at using a spreadsheet to contain your desired variables. Then at least all your models are pointing to that spread sheet.

Walt did a call at AU2014 which utilized spread sheets to control most of the aspects of an automotive suspension for a car. From changing the C/G which drove aspects of the front suspension.

I have included his presentation/class on it, it could possibly help with this.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
cadman777
in reply to: blair

Blair,

Thanx for your speedy response.

This is a very good read.

It solved one of the problems I encountered:

Bi-directional parameters, such as part geometry which drives parameters.

The method used is bi-directional data using iLogic.

The biggest issue I alway encounter is the heirarchy of data exchange between purchase parts, ipt files and iam files. As a project progresses, things change, and the parent sometimes trades places w/some of the child parts, and vice versa, which really screws-up the parent-child data relationships. Maybe iLogic can serve to mitigate these challenges using an Excel Master File in conjunction w/ipt and iam Master Files??

It's worth a try, esp. w/the structural modeling/detailing ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 7
blair

Hope it works for you. The motorcycle frame was a multi-body solid which then drove all the individual parts with all their end mitres, quite an elaborate solution. As you changed the parameters in the spread sheet, the solid changed, which then pushed out the changes to all the individual parts in the IAM.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
cadman777
in reply to: blair

Top-Down is how I've done most of my modeling for most of these years.

The challenge for me is in setting up a project so I don't get any "parent-child" conflicts.

It's inevitable that they occur, which is where the project begins to cost, b/c of the added manual labor that goes into tracking the data to ensure everything fits together properly. The bigger the dataset, the more wearysome this becomes, and the more error-prone the process is. That's why I've been trying to deviese a method that manages one dataset across the entire project, w/no chance of parts failing to change size when the main parameters change.

I rarely use MBP's, b/c they waste too much time and energy in splitting-up into separate parts w/all the proper BOM entries in their iProperties.

Mostly I use skeletal modeling with Template parts from CC and vendors. I NEVER use "muscular modeling", b/c I found that ipt's w/surfaces KILLS computing power).

This iLogic thing may be a solution, although I'm not very keen on programming languages.

I'd still like to get my hands on a Parameter Trace Utility. Too bad one of the programmers wouldn't write it as a small appliet that could be used w/any version of IV. I bet there's a lotta guys out doing skeletal modeling who wish it existed.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 7
ravikmb5

which version of Inventor you are using

Long while back we have tried something similar

I will try to post the ilogic code once I reach the office

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 7 of 7
cadman777
in reply to: ravikmb5

I'm using IV 2010.

Thanx Ravi!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report