Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter in idw text, (Units?)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
nannerdw
1013 Views, 5 Replies

Parameter in idw text, (Units?)

I have a model in imperial units with the parameter: Pin_Dia = 7mm.

Now I'd like to use this parameter in a text field on a drawing, but its value will only display in inches.

(I don't know if it's called a field in Inventor, at least that's what the equivalent feature is called in AutoCAD.)

I managed to fake it by creating a new parameter in inches: Pin_Dia_Metric = Pin_Dia * ( 1 ul / 1 mm ).

Now this shows up in the text dialog box as "7.0 ul."  It still displays correctly, since the text field only shows the numerical value, but I really don't want to clutter up my Parameters list with a bunch of duplicated values for metric conversions.

Is there a way to change the units for just this one text field?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: nannerdw

What are your document units?

(Tools>Document Settings >units)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
nannerdw
in reply to: JDMather

I added a metric standard to my drawing, and that fixed it.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
je10020
in reply to: nannerdw

Could you give details of how this is done?  Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
nannerdw
in reply to: je10020

In the Style and Standard Editor, right click the default standard in the "Standard" list, and click "New Style."  Then change the units of this new standard in the "General" tab of the Style and Standard Editor, and double click the new standard to set it as the default.  The next time you add a text object to your drawing, it will use this new standard.  You can override the units of an individual text object by right clicking it, and clicking "Edit Unit Attributes."

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: je10020

Hi! Are you looking for the way to add mm Standard to the drawing? Go to Manage -> Styles and Standards Editor -> set the filter on the right to Library -> select a mm Standard on the left and double-click it to add to the drawing.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report