Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel Constraint in Assembly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Cadmanto
38595 Views, 6 Replies

Parallel Constraint in Assembly

This is probably a simple one that I am missing, but how do I get a parallel constraint applied to these

two edges.

Parallel.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi Cadmanto, 

You can use an Angle constraint to do this.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Angle Constraint.png

Message 3 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Cadmanto

If you think about it, parallel and perpendicular constraints that some systems have are really just specialized angular constraints.  Inventor does away with them, and you simply use the angular constraint with an appropriate value (0 or 180 for parallel, 90 for perpendicular) to achieve the same effect.

Message 4 of 7

Thanks Curtis.  Always interesting how different softwares attack

similar issues.  Never would have guess the angle was the solution given there

is a parallel in the sketch constraints.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Cadmanto

It's probably there in the sketch constraints to keep you from having to clutter your sketch with angle dimensions.  I've seen some sketches done by people who used a lot of 90 deg dimensions because they didn't understand geometric constraints that well - it's not pretty.

In assembly constraints, there's not any real advantage either way (parallel/perpendicular vs angle), because either way it's just an entry in the browser.

Message 6 of 7
bkasperHX6DY
in reply to: jtylerbc

Two Clicks instead of 3 is an advantage, less links to break later as well. I think a parallel or perpendicular is much more intuitive. Probably 95% of all angle mates are parallel or perpendicular.

Message 7 of 7
cadman777
in reply to: bkasperHX6DY

I try not to use Angle Constraints b/c they screw with the other constraints.

The way I'd fulfill the OP's request (ancient thread!) is 2 Mate Constraints, between the side and edge in both directions. I use it all the time in railings with multiple angles for the connecting clips. the only time I use Angle Constraints is 1. when any other Constrain is impossible to be used, and 2) when the part needs to pivot (which I usually Drive and video, or create a PositionalView in the drawing.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report