Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page Numbers reflected in BOM

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
757 Views, 12 Replies

Page Numbers reflected in BOM

When I do a detailed set of drawings I first start with the overall and ballon the part showing the BOM.  The following pages will reflect the detailed parts balloned on the first page.  Is there a way, without haveing to manually type in the BOM, to reference which page this detail is on in the BOM?

Thank you for your help

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer is "No".  This might be able to be done through iLogic.

The other thought is you could tie a custom property in with the parts and have this property show up in the BOM.

Are you looking for thie sheet number to be a seperate colulmn in the BOM?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: Cadmanto

If you excluded your layouts from counting (in edit sheet) then wouldn't the sheet number correspond to the item number in your parts list (assuming you ordered your parts list to have all make parts before purchased)?
Just thinking backwards....
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for the reply. 

Thank you, I am just an Intern right now with a company but would like to help better the drawings they provide.

Yes I would like for it to be a seperate column.  As of now I just create a column and title it and put in the page number I located the detaild part.  I was just hoping for some possible way to do this.  Would the be a possibilty of writing something through the VBA editor to create a function for this?

Short answers are never as exciting. Specially if it is No haha

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

Not sure if I quite understand what you mean.  As of now I do not have an automatic way of reflecting the page number in the Bill of Materials for detailed drawings.  Right now if I change anything in the drawing set then I have to manually change the page number in my BOM.

Message 6 of 13
Cadmanto

VBA, iLogic very similar.  I am not a guru in this area, so I am the wrong one to ask on that.

That is what I was thinking might be your only option.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 13
mrattray

I was suggesting that you make the item number in your parts list = the sheet number for the print. It's not such a good plan as I think about it.
It shouldn't be too difficult to write a macro that checks the model referenced on each sheet and checks against your parts list. Updating a column at that point is the easy part.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Ok thank you.  That at least helps to narrow it to a special area.  I am no expert in that area either.  Hopefully someone has tought of the same idea and maybe has a program wrote for it.  One can only pray.

Message 9 of 13
mrattray

That's quite possible. Have you searched for anything?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

I need to keep the Item number since that is how I would ballon the item. 

I will need to do some research and figure things out on how to write macros.  I have not done such a thing and may look in to it more.  Thanks

Message 11 of 13
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:

...The following pages will reflect the detailed parts balloned on the first page. ...

Hi almeitl,

I have a couple of questions about your workflow:

1. Are the other pages detailed with one part to one page? Or do you have multiple parts on the pages?
  2. Are these parts ever used in other assemblies, and therefore used in other drawings?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 12 of 13
PaulMunford

I think you need to separate out the part number and item number.

If you create your own iproperty you can set it manually in the part and then map it across to the part number and drawing number.

By creating your own part number - there is no danger of inventor overwriting it on your behalf.

The item number only exists in the top level assembly file. You don't want to reference the whole assembly for a drawing off just one part!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,

The answers to your questions would be:

1.  Most commonly there are multipul parts to one page for the details.

2.  Ususally they are not used in other drawings.  Each part is used in that specific assembly only.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report