Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page File, SSD & W7

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CadUser46
759 Views, 7 Replies

Page File, SSD & W7

I have seen all the old threads but what is the latest thinking on this using W7 and solid state drive?  Currently have 12gb of ram.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: CadUser46

Not really sure what you are looking for, but with any system, the faster your HD, the quicker your system will be for loading programs and data, any Read and Write will be faster.

I run a couple of systems with SSD drives in RAID0. One system utilizes 4 SSD SATAII drives in RAID0 while the other utilizes 2 SSD SATAIII drives in RAID0. I get read rates of 920 Mb and 1100 Mb on these machines. Programs and data load very quickly.

The machines are 2 1/2 yrs and 1/2 years old, the best part is the absence of HD noise. I used to use machines with SCSI drives, that were incredibly noisy in Read/Write. Now I have to look to see if the lights on on.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
Ray_Feiler

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.cadalyst.com/general-software/readyboost-update-64-bit-windows-7-14309

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Ready-boost is really only needed/used when your RAM is maxed out and you can't/don't simply add more.

I've always wondered what benefit a SSD would have with Inventor when all your files are stored/accessed on a network (not using Vault at all). I think it would only improve the program load time but have very little effect on performance onces the program has started. I assume all reading/writing is done via the server and not your local machine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
blair

In my case, all files are stored locally, as we currently don't have a need for additional Inventor users due to the "Same day Productivity" claimed by Autodesk.

I have a work machine and a home machine and sync my files with ViceVesa on a external USB drive (along with a lot of other files). Never sure which files I may need, which makes it tough to use Vault

Since our network backs up all machines on the network (also have a separate HD's on the workstations for their own back-up above and beyond the network backup)

Tried running with the files on the network, but had problems with older versions of FEA software, creating their Temp/Cache directories on the server, this really increased the FEA run times.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
CadUser46
in reply to: blair

I understand the page file should be on SSD (in this case the SSD is the only drive) but what are peoples opinions on allowing windows to manage to manage it or setting it to a fixed size?  Do you still go 4x RAM or jsut ignore it and allow windows to deal with it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 7 of 8
mcgyvr

@CadUser46 wrote:

I understand the page file should be on SSD (in this case the SSD is the only drive) but what are peoples opinions on allowing windows to manage to manage it or setting it to a fixed size?  Do you still go 4x RAM or jsut ignore it and allow windows to deal with it?

(My opinion) Let windows manage it. Frankly you should almost NEVER be using the page file. I only see a few hard faults from Inventor if any.. Everything usually stays in RAM where it should be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 8
blair

Unless you are getting Virtual Memory errors, just let Windows manage it.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report