Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack & Go Fails

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jyothissurendran
1781 Views, 11 Replies

Pack & Go Fails

Hi , 

I have an assembly file which is having a "Tube & Pipe Run". I have did the assembly in personel drive and now wanted to shift it to server.So When i tried for Pack & Go it shows some error as attached image.Please someone advise hoe to solve it .....Pack and Go.png

Jyothis Surendran
Autodesk Autocad 2014 & Inventor Professional Suite 2010
Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Pack and Go is saying that it cannot save that part file on its own, because it is only meaningful as a sub-part of a Tube & Pipe run. In the attachment (.png), I have shown a Pack and Go dialog that shows such dependent components as checked and grayed out - if you check or uncheck their parent component, they are checked or unchecked automatically.

How are you invoking Pack and Go - from within Inventor, or from a Context Menu in Explorer? What component are you invoking it on?

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 3 of 12
joe.sherry
in reply to: joe.sherry

Sorry, the attachment isn't showing up, I'll look into it.

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 4 of 12
blair
in reply to: jyothissurendran

You need to do the Pack-and-Go using the main Assembly File and not trying to do a Pack-and-Go on the Tube  Pipe assembly. If you are copying files and working on them at home you might look at software such as ViceVersa, it has a good Sync program.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12

@joe.sherry wrote:

Pack and Go is saying that it cannot save that part file on its own, because it is only meaningful as a sub-part of a Tube & Pipe run. In the attachment (.png), I have shown a Pack and Go dialog that shows such dependent components as checked and grayed out - if you check or uncheck their parent component, they are checked or unchecked automatically.

How are you invoking Pack and Go - from within Inventor, or from a Context Menu in Explorer? What component are you invoking it on?

Yes i amdoing it from inventor only , not from explorer. Yes as you said when i do Pack & Go some of the componets are grayed out. dont know why and how to solve it.Please see the Browser Bar Snapshot for my assembly file.

Browser Bar.png

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 12
jyothissurendran
in reply to: blair

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to do the Pack-and-Go using the main Assembly File and not trying to do a Pack-and-Go on the Tube  Pipe assembly. If you are copying files and working on them at home you might look at software such as ViceVersa, it has a good Sync program.

Please find attached assembly file Browser Bar Snapshot for your reference. I have inserted this assembly to my Master Assembly file.Then i tried from both the files to do Pack & Go. Both are showing same error..

Browser Bar.png

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 7 of 12

@joe.sherry wrote:

Hi Joe,

I dig out something. The Items which i inserted from contentcenter are not copying while pack and go... Don't know how to solve it. If you have any ideas please share...

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 8 of 12
blair

Open Windows Explorer (assuming you are on Windows), navigate to the directory the main IAM resides in, select the main IAM file, then RMB on the file and select the Pack and Go option from the menu.

If the items are Content Center, you are correct, they won't be copied. Inventor assumes the CC is installed on the other machine and will generate them as required. If you save the CC items as "Custom", then they will be copied with the Pack and Go.

If Pack and Go dosen't appear in the drop-down menu, then go to the Start>All Programs>Autodesk>Inventor>Tools and run the Design Assistant. All you need to do is just open the DA and close the program and the Pack and Go will appear in the menu again.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
jyothissurendran
in reply to: blair

@Anonymous wrote:

Open Windows Explorer (assuming you are on Windows), navigate to the directory the main IAM resides in, select the main IAM file, then RMB on the file and select the Pack and Go option from the menu.

If the items are Content Center, you are correct, they won't be copied. Inventor assumes the CC is installed on the other machine and will generate them as required. If you save the CC items as "Custom", then they will be copied with the Pack and Go.

If Pack and Go dosen't appear in the drop-down menu, then go to the Start>All Programs>Autodesk>Inventor>Tools and run the Design Assistant. All you need to do is just open the DA and close the program and the Pack and Go will appear in the menu again.

I have got the reason. CC Items can be copied. When i do Pack & Go with output file directry as different location in my machine itself, it works. All the content center items are copying. But when its comes to Sever there is limitation for path length. I think total no of charectors are around 255(Dont know whether it can be extended or not ). Thats the reason when i try to do pack & go in server location its not happening. I think only option is to  reduce the path length.

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 10 of 12

Unfortunately there is no way to extend the path length as it is dependent on file system settings.

One thing I have done on Windows is use a drive letter mapping as a way of effectively reducing the path length.

E.g. map p: to \\some\very\long\path and then specify p:\destination to Pack and Go.

Joe S
Software Developer
Message 11 of 12

@joe.sherry wrote:

Unfortunately there is no way to extend the path length as it is dependent on file system settings.

One thing I have done on Windows is use a drive letter mapping as a way of effectively reducing the path length.

E.g. map p: to \\some\very\long\path and then specify p:\destination to Pack and Go.

Yes, Our IT Team has solved it yesterday in the same way to reduce the path length. 

Thanks for your reply..

Jyothis Surendran
Windows 10
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Try Long Path Tool, it helped me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report