Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P4 Extreme Edition and Inventor

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
375 Views, 7 Replies

P4 Extreme Edition and Inventor

Hi, Does anyone have any experience using Intel's new P4 EE cpu? Is this CPU just for people that want to use it for games, or is there a noticable performance increase with Inventor? I've noticed the prices are beginning to drop on it so I'm considering it for an upgrade when it gets within price range. I haven't seen any reviews so far that link CAD usage with this processor, so any feedback will be helpful. The following paragraph is pasted from a review on the processor to give you some idea of how it differs from the previous P4 3.20 Ghz model: link: http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1870 "The major improvement to the Extreme Edition over the current Pentium 4 is the inclusion of an on-die 2MB L3 cache. This on-die L3 cache is in addition to the 512KB L2 cache, giving the Extreme Edition a total of 2.5MB of on-die cache. Note that this is identical to the Xeon MP (Gallatin) core, other than the fact that we're talking about a CPU that runs at 3.2GHz and has an 800MHz FSB." Note (Autodesk): I would have posted this on "pn.hardware", but I was unable to access any recent messages there leading to believe that it is either a discontinued newsgroup, or in some sort of transition. TIA, Wally
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

i dont know of any inventor or cad specific reviews, but im sure all programs will benifit from the extra cache. what cpu & motherboard do you currently have? Matt
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Matt, This is all in the planning stage just now. Motherboard was to have been an Intel D875PBZ, but I'm now leaning towards an ASUS PC800 Deluxe. If you have any comments on the ASUS board I'd appreciate that as well. TIA, Wally "Matthew Stocking" wrote in message news:4019eae7_2@newsprd01... > i dont know of any inventor or cad specific reviews, but im sure all > programs will benifit from the extra cache. what cpu & motherboard do you > currently have? > > Matt > >
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Intel or ASUS, both are good. I know one person who has done some benchmarking with the Intel board, but he is now on "gardening leave" and not really open to comment, but it seems that is the way to go. John Bilton
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I've been running ASUS boards on both a Pentium and AMD with no problems to report. However, results may not be typical ... as the marketers like to throw in. ~Larry "Wally" wrote in message news:4019eec8_1@newsprd01... > Hi Matt, > > This is all in the planning stage just now. Motherboard was to have been an > Intel D875PBZ, but I'm now leaning towards an ASUS PC800 Deluxe. If you > have any comments on the ASUS board I'd appreciate that as well. > > TIA, > > Wally > > "Matthew Stocking" wrote in message > news:4019eae7_2@newsprd01... > > i dont know of any inventor or cad specific reviews, but im sure all > > programs will benifit from the extra cache. what cpu & motherboard do you > > currently have? > > > > Matt > > > > > >
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I think Tomshardware reviewed both these boards. If I recall the Asus came out on top but take a look yourself.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

the asus board is a very nice board. full of features. i went with the abit ic7-g, which is very similar. i would go with intel tho if all you want to do is install it and your done. the asus would be a better choice if you like to tweak your bios settings. people are overclocking 2.4 p4's to over 3.0ghz stable with these new board. thats not possible with intel brand boards. i personally run a 3.0ghz at 3.4. the ram runs at 915mhz. very speedy. Matt
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Inventor does benefit from a large cache. I noticed the improvement in performance when the 2GHx P4 can out with a larger cache than the previous P4 processors. John "Matthew Stocking" wrote in message news:401b05b9_2@newsprd01... > the asus board is a very nice board. full of features. i went with the abit > ic7-g, which is very similar. > i would go with intel tho if all you want to do is install it and your done. > the asus would be > a better choice if you like to tweak your bios settings. people are > overclocking 2.4 p4's to over 3.0ghz > stable with these new board. thats not possible with intel brand boards. > i personally run a 3.0ghz at 3.4. the ram runs at 915mhz. very speedy. > > Matt > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report