Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlay Points from XLS onto part

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ackimberli21
906 Views, 11 Replies

Overlay Points from XLS onto part

I have a quick question for you all. I have a part in Inventor that needs to be machined and instrumented. For the instrumentation locations, I have been given an Excel spreadsheet with XYZ coordinates. I need to be able to overlay the sensor locations onto the part purely for visualization purposes. Thus far, I have done this by taking the part file, creating a 3D sketch and importing the Excel sheet which places markers at all of the locations. This kind of works but I would like to do one of two things:

1) Change the style of the markers so that it more visible (ie change it to a large circle) or...

2) Place small spheres at each of the locations specified by the XLS file (this would be prefered because it shows up in renderings).

I have attached an example part file and XLS sheet for you all go play with.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Kimberlin
Engineer - Propulsion Systems Department
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
wimann
in reply to: ackimberli21

Unfortunately, I don't see that you've attached the XLS document. Nevertheless, if I were in your shoes, I would probably end up placing work points at each 3D sketch point the XLS document created, then I'd make an assembly for demonstration and have a sphere that is simply constrained to each work point. However, that would be my method and it's not something I've had to do before. There may be others on here who have more insight. iLogic may be a handy tool for what you're trying to do.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 3 of 12
ackimberli21
in reply to: wimann

For some reason it isn't letting me attach the XLS file so I will simply just post the coordinates here. Ideally, I would like to automate this because there are hundreds of sensor locations, all of which are subject to change.

0.5 0.5 0.0
0.5 0.0 0.5

0.5 0.5 1.0

0.5 1.0 0.5

0.0 0.5 0.5

1.0 0.5 0.5

0.0 0.0 0.0

1.0 0.0 0.0

1.0 1.0 0.0

0.0 1.0 0.0

0.0 0.0 1.0

1.0 0.0 1.0

1.0 1.0 1.0

0.0 1.0 1.0

Adam Kimberlin
Message 4 of 12
JDMather

@ackimberli21 wrote:

1) Change the style of the markers so that it more visible (ie change it to a large circle) or...

2) Place small spheres at each of the locations specified by the XLS file (this would be prefered because it shows up in renderings).

1. You can increase the size of sketch points at Tools>Application Options> General tab Annotation scale.

You could toggle the Centerpoints to Points.

You could add Workpoints (the size of these are controlled the same as sketch points.

These will show up in Realistic visual style that you can screen capture.

Point Options.png

2. I like this idea, but a bit more work.  Not sure how you would automate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 12
wimann

You may be able to embed the spreadsheet into your .ipt for this demonstration. My fix is kind of a work-a-round but I'm certain what you're trying to do can be done through iLogic/VBA. I'm just not savvy enough to tell you how 😕

Hopefully someone who is gets wind of this thread. I've seen a certain Cutris solve something similar to this before...

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 6 of 12
ackimberli21
in reply to: wimann

This is by no means a final solution but I was able to find a Matlab library that creates DXF files which can contain primatives (spheres). Since I am far more familiar with MATLAB, I decided to take this approach. I import the coordinates from the Excel file into MATLAB, then use MATLAB to create the DXF file that contains all of the spheres located at each coordinate, and then import the DXF into Inventor. Although this does work, it is FAR from pretty =/

Capture.JPG

Adam Kimberlin
Message 7 of 12
ackimberli21

If anyone is interested, I am making a GUI in Matlab that allows you to import a series of XYZ coordinates and then generates a single STL file that has spheres at each of the coordinates specified. So far, I only have it set up to where you can alter the size of the spheres but plan on upgrading it some more. So far I have done up to 1,500 points and it doesn't seem to have any issues.

cap4.JPG

Adam Kimberlin
Message 8 of 12
ackimberli21

I have taken a few screenshots to demonstrate how this works...

First, generate an Excel sheet that contains the positions (XYZ) and sizes of the spheres that you want to generate. In this example, I have the coordinates of the corners of a pyramid where each sphere with a diameter of .1 in will be generated.

pyramid.JPG

If you want to specify the size of each sphere individually, simply change the data in the 'D' column.

cap2.JPG

You have the flexibility to generate just about whatever you want at this point. For example, a bunch of random spheres at random locations...

rand.JPG

Of course, this allows you to export all of the patterns at STL files which can then be used in assemblies. Each STL can be colored independantly so in my case, we can color certain sensors red and others blue, etc.

inv.JPG

Finally, I was curious as to how many points this could handle before running into serious problems. I decided to generate 1500 spheres, each of which consists of roughly 400 points (sphere resolution^2) which results in a grand total of roughly 600,000 coordinates. It seemed to handle it with no issues even though the STL file was rather large (55 MB).

cloud.JPG

Adam Kimberlin
Message 9 of 12
ackimberli21

In order for this EXE to function properly, the 2014 (or later) Matlab Runtime Engine must be installed on your machine. You can download the engine from the following link.

http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/mcr/

Since I cannot post EXEs on this forum, I have placed it in my Google Drive. You may download it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UpKwOd1J4NNVJxdFRJRnBwckU/edit?usp=sharing

I hope that someones finds this to be useful. Again, this will work for any CAD package that uses STL files. Enjoy!

Adam Kimberlin
Message 10 of 12
ackimberli21

I was finally able to write a VBA script that will accomplish this. What is really nice about this is that it will allow you to render the spheres generated. Unforunately the previous solutions that I came up with wouldn't.

Image.bmp

Build a CSV file with the XYZ and radius parameters in the first four columns like so:

-8.3608,-3.3438,2.7252,6.2777

9.105,7.8004,-14.16,2.9976

-0.3403,-4.7925,-10.162,3.362

-12.267,-14.213,-6.6875,7.5863

9.1006,-11.125,11.186,4.9798

Then copy/paste/run the following code in the Inventor VBA environment.

Capture2.JPG

Public Sub ClientGraphics3DPrimitives()
 Dim oPartDoc As PartDocument
    Set oPartDoc = ThisApplication.Documents.Add(kPartDocumentObject, _
    ThisApplication.FileManager.GetTemplateFile(kPartDocumentObject))

' Set a reference to the component definition.
    Dim oCompDef As PartComponentDefinition
    Set oCompDef = oPartDoc.ComponentDefinition

' Set a reference to the TransientBRep object.
    Dim oTransientBRep As TransientBRep
    Set oTransientBRep = ThisApplication.TransientBRep

FileNum = FreeFile()
    'Open "C:\<path here>.csv" For Input As #FileNum

Dim path As String

path = InputBox("Enter a file path for the CSV file containing center points", "Prompt")
    Open path For Input As #FileNum

Dim strArray() As String
    Dim x_coords(10000) As Double
    Dim y_coords(10000) As Double
    Dim z_coords(10000) As Double
    Dim R(10000) As Double
    Dim index As Integer
    index = 0

While Not EOF(FileNum)
        Line Input #FileNum, dataLine
        strArray = Split(dataLine, ",")
        x_coords(index) = (CDbl(strArray(0)))
        y_coords(index) = (CDbl(strArray(1)))
        z_coords(index) = (CDbl(strArray(2)))
        R(index) = (CDbl(strArray(3)))

Dim oPoint As Point
        Set oPoint = ThisApplication.TransientGeometry.CreatePoint(x_coords(index), y_coords(index), z_coords(index))

' Create the block.
        If index = 0 Then
            Dim oBody As SurfaceBody
            Set oBody = oTransientBRep.CreateSolidSphere(oPoint, R(index))
        Else
            Dim oBody2 As SurfaceBody
            Set oBody2 = oTransientBRep.CreateSolidSphere(oPoint, R(index))
            Call oTransientBRep.DoBoolean(oBody, oBody2, kBooleanTypeUnion)
        End If

index = index + 1
    Wend

Dim oBaseFeature As NonParametricBaseFeature
    Set oBaseFeature = oCompDef.Features.NonParametricBaseFeatures.Add(oBody)
    Close #FileNum
End Sub

Adam Kimberlin
Message 11 of 12
ackimberli21

Once you get it figured out, you can make all sorts of interesteing patterns with your CSV file

pattern.jpg

Adam Kimberlin
Message 12 of 12
ackimberli21

For some reason, whenever you import the coordinates, it applies a scale factor of .3937 (the conversion from cm to inches). Too fix this, just multiply the coordinates by 2.54 to offset the scale factor. I am sure that there are ways to fix this problem the correct way in the code but I am too lazy to figure it out. Until then, this will suffice...

x_coords(index) = (CDbl(strArray(0)))*2.54
        y_coords(index) = (CDbl(strArray(1)))*2.54
        z_coords(index) = (CDbl(strArray(2)))*2.54
        R(index) = (CDbl(strArray(3)))*2.54

Adam Kimberlin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report