Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

over clocking I7 2700k

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
stevec781
480 Views, 4 Replies

over clocking I7 2700k

I was wondering if anyone has found a stable overclock setting for the I7 2700k?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ComputerGuru666
in reply to: stevec781

What motherboard? what ram? what power supply? what gpu? how is the processor cooled, Air? Liquid? Oil Submerged? Phase Change? LN2? 

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 (64 Bit) Pro. SP1, Inventor 2014 Pro, 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator (Driver 3.15.2)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79 Socket 2011
Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz OCed to 4.7GHz (Under Water)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Z-Series 32 gig quad channel of RAM 1800MHz OCed to 2133MHz
Video Card: 2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Running Six (6) Monitors)
Monitors: [Primary = 2x 24in HD WS][Secondary = 2x 22in HD WS][Tertiary = 2x 19in FS]
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex IV 256 GB Solid State Drive
Secondary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex III 120 GB Solid State Drive
Message 3 of 5
stevec781
in reply to: ComputerGuru666

Motherboard is gigabyte z68p ds3 socket 1155, 4x 4Gb 2133Hz G Skill RipjawsX Ram, 750w power supply with its own fan, Asus GTX 560 video 1GB, standard fan cooled cpu, antec 300 case with 1x120 mm fan and 1x 140mm fan.  60GB intel ssd and 500GB Seagate hybrid.  OS and apps on hybrid, partition for page file on hybrid, all data on SSD.  No games or video editing, just work.  Win7 64.  No idea what phase change or LN2 is.  (just enough knowledge to be dangerous Smiley Happy)

Message 4 of 5
ComputerGuru666

I WOULD NOT overclock with a stock air cooler on your CPU!!!

but here is a guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review

your bios might not look identical but close

as for phase changing and LN2 cooling see below:

Phase Changing:

A vapor compression phase-change cooler is a unit which usually sits underneath the PC, with a tube leading to the processor. Inside the unit is a compressor of the same type as in a window air conditioner. The compressor compresses a gas (or mixture of gases) which condenses it into a liquid. Then, the liquid is pumped up to the processor, where it passes through an expansion device, this can be from a simple capillary tube to a more elaborate thermal expansion valve. The liquid evaporates (changing phase), absorbing the heat from the processor as it draws extra energy from its environment to accommodate this change (see latent heat). The evaporation can produce temperatures reaching around −15 to −150  degrees Celsius. The gas flows down to the compressor and the cycle begins over again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling#Phase-change_cooling

LN2: 

Simply put using liquid nitrogen to cool CPU mainly used for bench marking purposes its not very pratical (google it) 

Oil Submerged:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 (64 Bit) Pro. SP1, Inventor 2014 Pro, 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator (Driver 3.15.2)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79 Socket 2011
Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz OCed to 4.7GHz (Under Water)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Z-Series 32 gig quad channel of RAM 1800MHz OCed to 2133MHz
Video Card: 2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Running Six (6) Monitors)
Monitors: [Primary = 2x 24in HD WS][Secondary = 2x 22in HD WS][Tertiary = 2x 19in FS]
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex IV 256 GB Solid State Drive
Secondary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex III 120 GB Solid State Drive
Message 5 of 5
stephengibson76

I had a 2600 clocked at 4.7 with a better fan cooler on top, it set it up for me though so dont really know much about it, from what i understand, these chips were pretty resilient though.

I now have a 2700 running standard 3.5ghz, i havnt had time to do a propper test but my new motherboard came with AI suite which will autotune your cpu, (effectivly clock it until it heats up too much, then clock it again at a lower speed, until it finds the fastest speed for your cooling hardware)

It may be worth looking at some automated overclocking software

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums