Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Origin planes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Cool_Breeze_Jr
892 Views, 14 Replies

Origin planes

My model is up in the top right of the planes. I cannot figure out why my origin planes are oversized like this. I have went through the browser and checked all the parts to see if something is out there, nothing. I have set auto-resize on origin planes and yet these are large. Has anyone else had this issue?

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Autodesk Product Design Suite 2014
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jletcher
in reply to: Cool_Breeze_Jr

Once the planes go large they don't go back. you will have to do that if you go to the corner of the plane you will get arrows to resize them.

This is the only way and a pain in the butt  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
Cool_Breeze_Jr
in reply to: jletcher

I tried to select the grab handles as you had wrote. I resized them and moved them too but they seem to snap back into the original position. I have no problem sharing this model with you so you could see it for your self. I need to get this resolved soon or I cant get drawings out to my production people. If you cant its ok.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 4 of 15
jletcher

What version of Inventor you on?

But yes post the offending part.

I am on 2012 but if you have 2013 some one like JD will pop in and give you help..

If 2012 or earlier I can help.

Message 5 of 15
Cool_Breeze_Jr

It's 2013 Pro.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 6 of 15
mrattray

Why is the size of the origin planes holding up your drawings? I don't see how they could be more than an annoyance.

Anyways, go ahead and post the file.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 15
Cool_Breeze_Jr
in reply to: mrattray

Hey Mike send me your email address and I can send you a link to my SkyDrive folder. We could Skype if needed. My tag is chris.biggs24.

The annoying thing about these planes is that I use a space navigator and sometimes I rotate my model around and it just shoots off the screen like its rotating the entire plane and not my model. I say sometimes because it does not do it all the time.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 8 of 15
jletcher

For your spacemouse comment do you know you can center the axis you rotate from using the orbit view single (don't hold just click) click anyplace and you will see the part move from orbit view and it will recenter the axis for rotating with spacemouse.

I do this when working on large asemblies and want to rotate from the place i am working not the center of the machine.

Message 9 of 15
mrattray

Why can't you post it here? I don't like downloading things from sites I never heard of.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 15
Cool_Breeze_Jr

I like this function, they did not teach this in school. Thanks.

As far as the origin planes, I turned off auto resize and grabbed one of the handles and resized them to fit just outside my model. I have to keep on going for now but I need to revisit the origin planes to figure out why they snap out into space. Fixed for now, thanks!

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 11 of 15
mrattray

Sounds to me like you may have a stray piece of geometery hanging out in space somewhere.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 15
jletcher

Yeah they don't teach what you need in class. Now when I was teaching class I taught that lol...

For your planes it may be a good idea to make new templates with auto size planes off this is how mine are set I don't need the plane to grow with the part or with the assembly..

Now with a part hanging out in no land could be but I have a feeling there was a part out in no land but then moved back into place but with auto size it only grows it don't shrink very well it has a small bug works 85% of the time with parts and 65% of the time with assemblies.

More things Autodesk will never fix but to their credit some times it is hard to see why it happens so something may never get fixed because of this. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

@Cool_Breeze_Jr wrote:

I like this function, they did not teach this in school. 

You must have gone to the wrong school.  I tried to help you with this yesterday (both problems) but you didn't continue the discussion. 
BTW - I seldom ever have a workplane visible - you can use them without having them visible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 14 of 15

I think I have it worked out for now. I will deal with the planes later. Thanks.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 15 of 15
Cool_Breeze_Jr
in reply to: JDMather

Yeah sorry about that, I had to go yesterday. I think I have it worked out though. Thank you for your time.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report