Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

gsingham
Message 1 of 6 (279 Views)

Organizing Inventor Files

279 Views, 5 Replies
11-29-2013 08:31 AM

I've been doing a large amount of updates on a pre-existing project at my company, and I deeply desire to reorganize the file structure for all the assemblys, parts, and drawings, as after being passed through 4-5 coop students it's gotten quite out of hand. To my understanding, if I go and move around parts and assemblys all willy nilly, I'm gonna have a mess of broken links on my hands I'd rather not deal with. I was wondering what the best strategy to accomplish this might be? 

Thank you for any recommendations,

Gord

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 6 (275 Views)

Re: Organizing Inventor Files

11-29-2013 09:08 AM in reply to: gsingham

Any chance you have vault loaded?  If so check all of it into the vault (if it isn't already) then reorganize it there.  In the vault links will not be lost.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Contributor
jeremy.wasserstrass
Message 3 of 6 (220 Views)

12-02-2013 10:21 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Open the main assembly in Design assistant. You can then go down the list of parts and rename files without loosing associations. This only works if you do not use Vault.

gsingham
Message 4 of 6 (168 Views)

12-19-2013 12:33 PM in reply to: gsingham

I don't use vault, and my company doesn't really use Inventor enough to utilize it, so trying to integrate it is out of the question. This allows me to rename my files, but what about moving them around within the file structure? All the usefull parts are all over the place and not well organized whatsoever.

All the best,

Gord

Distinguished Mentor
IgorMir
Message 5 of 6 (145 Views)

12-19-2013 05:27 PM in reply to: gsingham

Hi Gord,

Try Pack and Go. With that facility you can collect all the model files and drawings, related to the model and put them in one specified location. Just a thought...

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Distinguished Contributor
BeKirra
Message 6 of 6 (139 Views)

12-19-2013 06:34 PM in reply to: gsingham

Did you use project file "*.ipj"?

I think this the way to go when you don't use vault.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
PDSU 2014. On subscription and look forward to R2016 & Windows 9.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.