Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate set as Diameter

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
G.Lorje
1570 Views, 9 Replies

Ordinate set as Diameter

Hi all,

Using Intventor 2011 can you use Ordinate Set to dimension diameters?

I am trying to use it on a section view from the center line but the dimensions displayed are only half the size of the actual diamter (this is obvious because I'm dimensioning half the part realistically). Is there a setting I am missing that allows Inventor to recognise it as a diameter?

See attached drawing.

cheers

Grant

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: G.Lorje

Your IDW file requires all accompanying files, ITP's and IAM's.

If you RMB (Right Mouse Button) when you select the arc for dimensioning, you then have a choice of selecting Diameter from the pop-up dialogue box.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
BMiller63

how about just a screen shot? (i can't open 2011 files right now)

I'm having trouble invisioning what diameter ordinate dims would be.

Message 4 of 10
G.Lorje
in reply to: BMiller63

Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply.

I have attached new files and a PDF to give you a beter understanding.

cheers

Message 5 of 10
SBix26

I don't know any way to accomplish what you want with ordinate dimensions.  But if you dimension using linear diameter dimensions, you get close.  When placing a standard dimension from centerline to radial feature, right click before placement and choose Linear Diameter, as shown in the attached image.  A quick look through dimension styles didn't reveal any way to set this up as a style, so you have to change it manually each time you place a dimension.

Hope that helps.

Message 6 of 10
Martin_Goodland
in reply to: SBix26

You can change it in the Application options - Drawing tab. It would be easier if it could be altered in the style though.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 7 of 10
G.Lorje

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.

We'll have to wait for the next release to see if this is available.

cheers

Grant

Message 8 of 10
SBix26

Don't hold your breath... I'm not aware of any drafting standard that allows this technique, and I think it could be confusing to anyone reading the drawing.

Message 9 of 10
Artifix
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler: One good reason to use this technique is to provide endpoints geometry for CNC lathes which typically expect diametrical and not radial data.  This is very important when communicating such things as an o-ring groove in a face or other small details on a large part.  As long as the diameter symbol is shown on an ordinate dimension, it is understood that the origin of the ordinate is the axis of rotation.

And yes, we are all Inventor users and will not hold our breath waiting for Autodesk to provide the same functionallity that has been around in 2D AutoCAD for 20 years.  Instead, we will forge ahead with work arounds that will fail when the next release comes out... 😜

Message 10 of 10
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: Artifix

Hi,

I had similar problem dimensioning something of very big radious. Center of the arcs (8 or 9) was not realy anyware. It was only a theoretical point and ot was far far away form the view.

I was fighting with ordinate dimensionning. finaly I did get somewhare. I will post some jpg in the ewening.

I also Igree with that that such kind of dimension is very usefull. not only for automatic lathes but also for normal lathes.

Whan someone is fabricating what you had designed he schould have given dimensions of things he is able to masure.

In such case it is obwiouse that dimeter is fisicaly masured.

In the meantime I post drawing of something that is currently being made.  

I think it was dome in solid edge.

Cris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report