Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate Dimension Origin - Set to A Hidden Hole?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tdswanson
2266 Views, 7 Replies

Ordinate Dimension Origin - Set to A Hidden Hole?

Hey everyone:

I'm trying to figure out how to set my origin point to a hole center.  (See the attached image....)  When you create the first ordinate dimension, you have to set the origin marker.  For the upper view, I want to set the origin to be the same as the view below it.  I can set it to the end of one of the hidden lines from the hole, but I can't seem to set the origin to the center of the hole.

Is there something to this that I'm missing?  Should this not be possible?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: tdswanson

Add a center line to the hole (Centerline Bisector tool).  That's probably better drawing practice anyway.

Message 3 of 8
tdswanson
in reply to: SBix26

I can create the centerline, no problem.  But unless I'm mistaken, I can't set the origin for the view to be on acenterline (for ordinate dimensioning).  Am I wrong?

Message 4 of 8
SBix26

Oops... you're right.  So create a view sketch, project the the hole "sides" and place a line from one to the other, making a line on the edge of the part essentially representing the diameter of the hole.  Exit the sketch, and you now have a feature (the centerpoint of the sketch line you just placed) to attach the origin to.

This time I know my answer's good, because I actually tried it!

Message 5 of 8
tdswanson

Well this worked, mostly.  I created the sketch, projected the diameter lines onto the sketch and drew a line between them on the face where the hole is.  But when I exit the sketch, I can't move the origin onto the mid-point of that construction line.

So......  I went back into the sketch, drew a circle on the mid-point of that line, then exited the sketch.  Move the origin onto the center of the circle, then go back into the sketch and make the circle "sketch only" so it doesn't show up.  It did the trick and all, but it seems a bit long.  Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
SBix26

I had no trouble placing the origin at the centerpoint of the sketch line, but, like you, I was not able to move it there, until I turned off visibility of the part edge. 

Seems like a defect to me: I can place the view origin on that point, but when dragging it from another location that point (and the sketch line that defines it) are completely unselectable until the coincident part edge is eliminated.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

How do I snap to an exact point, when I go into sketch, it does not snap to the centerline.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

You'll have to give more information than you have so far:

• What version of Inventor are you using?
  • What are you trying to snap to an exact point?
  • Model sketch or drawing sketch?
  • What does this have to do with the original question (setting a drawing view's origin to a hidden hole's centerline)?

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.3
    Windows 7 SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report