Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate dim to sketch entities

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
471 Views, 2 Replies

Ordinate dim to sketch entities

We're having a problem with Ordinate dimensions.  When we dimension to a radiused corner, we dim to the "implied intersection" of the two lines, rather than to the center of the radius.  We make a sketch with the two "tick marks", then dim to the intersection of the tick marks.  Ordinate dimensions are not allowing us to pick the intersection:  it wants to put two (or three) dimensions, one to each end of one or the other tick marks (see attached).  We use Ordinate dims about once a year, but I'm sure I remember being able to ordinate dimension to the tick marks.  Anyone know anything about this?  IV R2010, SP0

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

The ordinate dimension command does not let you select endpoints/midpoints,etc.. during the initial steps..

Just delete the other 2 if you don't want them.

However if you go back and add a member Inventor will let you pick the end/intersection point. Same goes for arcs.

During the 1st step you will get multiple ordinate dimensions.. But if you add a member later you can pick the middle/start/end of an arc.

That the way I do it.. My first round of selection is only features that will create a single ord dim.. Then I go back and add member for any arcs/midpoints,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: mcgyvr

See my reply to the other thread you started on this topic.  In Inventor 2010, you can place ordinate dimensions directly to an implied intersection of two lines (I just did it a few minutes ago to create the images I posted).  You might want to uncheck the App Options > Drawing > Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection box and see if that makes picking things easier, or at least more intuitive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report