Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordinate Dim to sketch entities

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
LonesomeJoe
523 Views, 5 Replies

Ordinate Dim to sketch entities

We're having a problem with Ordinate dimensions.  When we dimension to a radiused corner, we dim to the "implied intersection" of the two lines, rather than to the center of the radius.  We make a sketch with the two "tick marks", then dim to the intersection of the tick marks.  Ordinate dimensions are not allowing us to pick the intersection:  it wants to put two (or three) dimensions, one to each end of one or the other tick marks (see attached).  We use Ordinate dims about once a year, but I'm sure I remember being able to ordinate dimension to the tick marks.  Anyone know anything about this?  IV R2010, SP0

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

In this case, you don't need to sketch in the tick marks.  When placing the ordinate dimension set, you can place any member of the set to the implied intersection of two lines (not arcs!).  Swipe slowly along each line, and you should get a yellow dot with dotted extensions to both lines when you're near the intersection point.  Inventor will put in the extension lines for you.  See images attached below.

Message 3 of 6
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: SBix26

YEE-HAH!!!  That's the secret!  Now... because we have Standards which are only mildly negotiable...  When Inventor makes the "tick mark", it runs the two ends of the tick mark past each other.  We need them trimmed to a point (see attached).  Is there a setting for this?  R2010, SP0.  Thanks a BUNCH!!

Message 4 of 6
SBix26

I don't know if anything in the dimension style definition will affect the tick marks.  I don't have time to try at the moment.  My suspicion is that any part of the dimension definition that affects this would also have undesireable side effects.

Message 5 of 6
SBix26

I think you're going to have to stay with your sketched extensions-- I couldn't find any way to change the geometry of the automatic ones.

However, turning off App Options > Drawing > Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection should help with getting the dimension landed to just the intersection point.

Message 6 of 6
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: SBix26

Well, all I can say now is, for some inexplicable reason, it started working the way we want....  We sketch in our "tick marks", then make an ordinate set, and when we pick the tick mark (it doesn't seem to matter which tick mark we pick, or where on the tick mark we pick), it puts one ordinate dim at the intersection of the tick mark....  Weird, but appreciated.  Thanks to all of you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report