Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbit Tool Weirdness

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
489 Views, 6 Replies

Orbit Tool Weirdness

Anyone else had any issues with the Orbit tool showing its active but it doesnt work, I keep trying to use it but my Software thinks Im trying to select while the orbit tool is active. This is the second time this has happend to me since using Inventor 2011, the problem seems intermittent or is brought about witha series of certian clicks.

Here is a screen shot, I'll post up a video I took with my Phone later.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

First thing I would do is upgrade your video card driver if possible.

Second thing (I'd do this first actually Smiley Happy) I would do is put in a request for a 3d controller like a space navigator,etc.. best money ever spent on cad hardware... Probably not many of us ever use the orbit tool because we've all gone to a 3d controller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Is the space navigator, purely for viewing or does it fully replace the mouse? I saw one video where the guy was using Both a Mouse and this device but I couldnt find one of someone using this as a 100% mouse replacement?

Message 4 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Anonymous

It doesn't replace a mouse - they are actually used together.  The 3D controller will control pan, zoom, and orbit (depending on the unit it may also have programmable buttons), but doesn't affect the cursor position.  The mouse will be used for selecting and picking commands. 

Once you've used it for a little while, if you're anything like I was when I had one, using it to move things around on the screen will become such second-nature that you'll reach for it in programs where it doesn't work (such as Excel), and become frustrated that you can't use it for everything.

Message 5 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: jtylerbc

@jtylerbc wrote:

... will become such second-nature that you'll reach for it in programs where it doesn't work (such as Excel), and become frustrated that you can't use it for everything.

I do this all the time! Like when I drive my wife's car and almost break it trying to put her blinkers in reverse.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: jeanchile

During the time that Inventor LT 2009 was available on Labs, I had it installed on my home computer.  I was so used to reaching for the controller at work that I did it at home just out of habit.  Not only was there no controller present, but the desk itself ended a good 6 inches before where I was reaching into space.

That would be one of those times I was glad I live alone, so nobody could see my insanity. . .

Message 7 of 7
blair
in reply to: jtylerbc

The hardest is the first day using a 3D motion controller. At least it has a "Fit" button to bring your model back into view. After the first day, you will wonder how you ever got along without one.

Been a "User" since 2002

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report