Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening SolidWorks File - Error

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Schaaker
5186 Views, 6 Replies

Opening SolidWorks File - Error

I am having an issue opening a SolidWorks file in Inventor. The file is a native SolidWorks .sldprt file. This is the procedure I followed: File-Open in Inventor, changed file type to SolidWorks Files and selected the file on my computer to be opened. I then recieve an HTML error message stating "Error - Translation failed. This version is not supported." I am currently using Inventor 2013.  I received the file from one of our sister companies and we were hoping to be able to exchange native files easily using Inventors built in translator.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or possibly know of a translator or add-in that would work to open files of this type.

I have attached the original .sldprt (the .zip) file and a .pdf of the error message.

Schaaker
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Schaaker

What version of SWX?

SWx 2013 was released after Inventor 2013, so did not even exist when Inventor 2013 was released and therefore Inventor 2013 cannot read SWx 2013 files.

You might try Inventor 2014 or Fusion 360.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Schaaker,

Welcome to the forum.

Definately an incompatiblility issue.  Getting the SW files in an older version say 2012 would work or you are going to have to export them out of SW as an igs or stp file to bring into Inventor 2013.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7

I have to admit, I go thru this same issue with the releases, it would be soooo nice if ADesk could or would simply release a Service Pack of the current release (in this case 2013) that covers the translation for the other softwares (in this case SW 2013) once those capabilities have been created, as opposed to making us all wait until we load the next release of 2014 and so on and so on.

i could have sworn they did just this in the past???

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 5 of 7

Jim,

This is a constant battle between softwares.  Where I used to work is was between Solidworks and Pro-E.

One would come out with a new version and all of a sudden they were incompatible again until the other released their new version.  Smiley Mad

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 7

Oh how I know about all that...;)

I know and understand it takes some time to create the translator once say SW (new version) comes out, which is usally in September, but then it's at least 7-8 months or so where translations can't be done. Even cutting that time in half would be a great help at times.

Speaking of 2014....I'm expecting an email notification any day now that it's available for download???

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 7 of 7
blair

It should be soon, have had Simulation Mechanical 2014 since the beginning of this week.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report