Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening inventor 2014 files with Inventor 2013

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
belsebuth
17810 Views, 16 Replies

opening inventor 2014 files with Inventor 2013

Hi,

One of our customer has inventor 2013 and I am working with inventor 2014.

I would like to know if there is anyway for my customer once my job is done to be able to load the Sub assembly with his software and be able to work with it ?

They told me Inventor fusion is not an easy tool and would prefered to use inventor files.

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: belsebuth

File>Save Copy As>Type STEP (*.stp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
Martin_Goodland

No, the only way your client can carry on working with the native Inventor files is if you move back to 2013 to do the work or your client upgrades to 2014. All the other options are work rounds that will loose any modeling history.

It is possible to save the 3d files as STEP which will give your client a 'dumb' solid but any drawings or documentation done for the project would need to be recreated from scratch by your client if they ever wanted to make a drawing revision.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 4 of 17
belsebuth

Thank you for your answer.

Now this step files is crashing my computer's customer 😞 I have seen a topic about that, I will try to search the answer.

This lake of compatibility between inventor release is not friendly at all.

Message 5 of 17
mcgyvr

@belsebuth wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

This lake of compatibility between inventor release is not friendly at all.

Its ALWAYS been like that.. And just about every other 3d cad package is the same way.. None are "backward" compatible due to the fact that new features could be added that the older version knows nothing about. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 17
belsebuth
in reply to: mcgyvr

I do understand the technical challenge that could represent the compatibility problem.
But try to be in my chair, we just bought a new software and invest lot of money for a small and new company so we don't have 2013, and our Customer who is a huge group did not upgrade yet to 2014.
And now we have a crisis issue cause of that.
So can we ask to Autodesk to give us a copy of Inventor 2013?
Message 7 of 17
swalton

Subscription customers can run previous versions of their Autodesk software.

http://www.autodesk.com/subscription/licensing

Once you get your old version installed and running, you get to re-do all the IV 2014 work you have done so far in IV 2013.  Try to think of it as modeling practice and try to improve your technique and simplify your models.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: swalton

@swalton wrote:
.... re-do all the IV 2014 work you have done so far in IV 2013. 

Or run Feature Recognition, or edit the solid body for only changes as needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
tsreagan
in reply to: mcgyvr

The problems behind backwards compatability are logical as mcgyvr has pointed out.

The only thing about this that defies logic,  is the lack of a "save as earlier version" option.

Each new release knows what is new,  it could simply leave out any new items that are incompatable (and give you these components in a list), and the other 98 percent of a project should be able to be exported and opened in an old version.

In Autocad 2014,  we can save an Autocad 2004 format file, some things are lost in translation, but most things export.

I don't expect you to be able to save out an Inventor 2010 from 2014,  but saving as 2013 from 2014 should be possible. ie.. One version back.  I don't think that is too much to ask for.  2 versions back would be great.

I know Autodesk wants you to upgrade right away, but with the economy the way it is, the policy is causing inefficiencies in the industry as people scramble to work together across company borders.

Software makers and content providers often don't consider the industry wide impacts of their decisions and policies.  Like model houses that don't spend the time to auto name the parts you download,  so 10,000 people have to name the part on their end.  Inefficient!!

This issue is one of my only and biggest issues with the Inventor series.

T.S.

Message 10 of 17
dgorsman
in reply to: swalton

... also a good lesson in evaluating software prior to use, as well as ensuring proper communication with the client regarding software types, versions, file versions, and so on.  Best to get all that hammered out at the start of the contract with all parties knowledgeable about what can and cannot be done.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 17
Cadmanto

There is always the option of saving the files as something other then a step file.  Try using igs.

But, what has been said is true, Inventor is not backwards compatible

It probably should be an option in the software.  Check out this idea in the Inventor idea station

to cast your kudo vote if you want to see this functionality added.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Backwards-Compatibility/idi-p/3780271

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 12 of 17
dgorsman
in reply to: tsreagan

With AutoCAD it *is* that simple.  But the structure of Inventor as a parametric environment can prohibit those easy-saves.  You can also play Devils Advocate fairly easily - people will complain that most of their model was excluded, the software suks, blahblahblah.  Its a no-win situation.

Now, it could be possible in future releases but there is a huge caveat involved.  In order for it to work the information structure must be very well defined and regimented, to the point where future products may not be able to implement certain features because they cannot function under that structure.  That is the reason why DWG can be downsaved relatively easily, there isn't much new in the structure of the content.  Is that something that the users can live with for Inventor?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 17
belsebuth
in reply to: dgorsman

Evaluation of software is really simple when your main customer is a huge group, they using inventor so we are using inventor.

Anyway thanks all for your answer, at least I have a solution and a LEGAL solution which is the most important for me.

Message 14 of 17
JDMather

@tsreagan wrote:
....  it could simply leave outany new items that are incompatable ...

... place as Base features.
That is the way MDT to Inventor translated features worked.

But there is always the unintended consequences - quality control issue.

What is more critical - absolute robust translation, or flexible backward translation with the risk of geometry errors.

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
tsreagan
in reply to: JDMather

"... place as Base features."    or that 🙂

"But there is always the unintended consequences - quality control issue."

That is quite true,  the tool would be a last resort fall back, and in that situation the user would have to pay close attention to the resulting product of the translation. 

The hope would be that the time spent scrutinizing the result would be faster than exporting steps and importing steps and all the grief associated with that process.

I didn't know there was an idea station post for that,  thanks... I just assumed this would never be addressed.

Everybody get over there and give it kudo's, as it only had only one,   I feel ashamed of not finding and voting for it earlier.

T.S.

Message 16 of 17
archerc55

I agree, I'm a student with this problem - 2014 on my laptop but 2013 at school; last semester I took Mastercam and could save as an earlier version!
Message 17 of 17
Ray_Feiler

There is also this one.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/save-to-a-previous-version/idi-p/3739873

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report