Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening an assembly from Vault sometimes brings in old versions of parts.

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
waynehelley
1045 Views, 1 Reply

Opening an assembly from Vault sometimes brings in old versions of parts.

Hi there,

I'm working with Inventor 2013 and Vault Pro.

I get a part from vault, edit it, check it in, leave it on my C drive....

Then I open as assembly from Vault which contains that part...

I am finding that sometimes, instead of the assembly updating and containing the new version of the part, the OLD version of the part is sitting in the assembly, hence has overwritten the NEW version on my C drive.

To remedy this I can shut down the assembly, download the NEW version of the part from Vault (status symbol show below), then open the assembly from my C drive.

Could someone please explain to me what is happening here??

Are assemblies capable of retaining what Revision of a part was placed?  If so, is it possible to turn this off so that everything is always NEW?  When opening an assemby from Vault, do assemblies always contain the latest RELEASED version as oppose to showing recent unreleased changes?

The local copy of the file is the released version of the latest revision, but it is not the latest version of the latest revision. This typically happens when you have a local copy of the released version but a quick change has been executed by another user.

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
waynehelley
in reply to: waynehelley

I have discovered this problem has been fixed for 2014...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideastation/opening-a-file-with-vault-explorer/idi-p/3501120

Anybody using 2013...

Vault – Released Biased / Non-Released Biased

I have done a bit of research into the problem this morning.  As I suspected, the old components were appearing because Vault was set to build assemblies using the latest released version of components, ignoring any unreleased changes.

When getting/checking out components from Vault, there is an option to choose ‘Released Biased’ or ‘Non-Released Biased’.  I suggest that you make sure this option is not highlighted blue so that Non-released changes will appear in the assembly.

Untitled2.jpg

As far as I can tell, double-clicking a file from Vault to open it, will always open it as ‘Released Biased’, hence I would avoid doing this and instead ‘Get’ the files from Vault then open the file from your C drive.  As a safety measure you may want to change your options so that double-click invokes a ‘View in Window’ instead of opening the file.

Untitled.jpg

Although this seems like a pain in the arse, in theory, opening an assembly with ‘Released Biased’ turned on, should open an assembly to appear exactly as it would on the shop floor, which should be a great tool in helping us solve errors.   An example being if people don’t get around to releasing changes they have made to CAD models.

Thanks,

Wayne Helley

Design and Development Engineer

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report