Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

122 REPLIES 122
SOLVED
Message 1 of 123
Anonymous
29704 Views, 122 Replies

Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

Hi,

I have a relativly basic ipt file in 2013 that I would like to open up in 2012 on another machine. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can open it up and edit it? It's kind of crucial and I assumed I'd be able to since the part used nothing besides the rudimentary tools that have been in inventor since the beginning...

Right now, I'm getting a "Database schema...which is newer than this version".

Thanks!

Tags (2)
122 REPLIES 122
Message 81 of 123
cmberry20
in reply to: Anonymous

Why shouldnt you have to specify the CSK angle? It allows more flexibilty in the design & its not a cause for problems.

Really dude, if you think Inventor is bad - and its not, its just as good as SolidWorks - try using Siemens NX, thats a whole new level of frustration.

Message 82 of 123
not2013
in reply to: not2013

I do not believe that any parametric softwares are backwards compatible.  Maybe some one knows of a 3D software that I am not aware of that does.  I also believe that this is by design and not because it is not posible.  These companies just want you to keep buying there new products or by force.

is anyone aware of any parametric software that is backward compatible? 

Message 83 of 123
not2013
in reply to: riff62

When software is unstable it is not the users fault.  IT IS THE COMPANY's fault. THat would be the company that is selling it before it is perfected.  Does that not make sense to anyone?

Message 84 of 123
not2013

How about when you add a circle to be concentric to an existing circle or arc in sketch mode in solidworks. 

All you do is select an existing circle and solidworks automatically knows that this new circle is concentric to it. 

Inventor you have to

draw circle 1st

then go contrainsts

then slect the concentric button

then select an existing circle

Solidworks is simply more intuitive and at 1/2 the price.

WHY USE inventor?

Message 85 of 123
Ryan.Martinez

Start the arc/circle on the existing center point? I really wish an admin would lock this thread.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 86 of 123
LT.Rusty

Well, you could do all that ... but if you want to do it quick and easy, you'd just press the offset button, select your circle or arc, and then boom - concentric circle or arc.

Or you could just do it the hard way and complain about it.  Your choice.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 87 of 123
not2013
in reply to: cmberry20

Glad that I do not have to use nx.  We have a Siemens software called teamcenter.  Siemens did not create any software they just bought out existing companies.  Siemens started as an electronic component company I believe.

Also inventor 2011 boasted as being the best teamcenter compatible 3D software in the world. 

Only problem was it didn't work with teamcenter at all.  Catia and Pro-E did just fine without bragging about it.

So autodesk was either falsely advertising or they have many people there whom suffer from mental disorders so severe that they cannot differentiate between reality and the fantasies in their heads.

Either way autodesk is not a company that I want to trust.  I used to think autodesk was one of the best software companies in the world until they went to Autocad rel 13 (its 1st wondows release) in 1994.  By the way THE UNDO COMMAND was created by autocad before 1990.  How many companies have copied or stolen that wonderful time saver command?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 88 of 123
not2013
in reply to: LT.Rusty

What if you have other entities connected to the exisitng circle?  Then you have to delete them all.

Message 89 of 123
LT.Rusty

@not2013 wrote:

What if you have other entities connected to the exisitng circle?  Then you have to delete them all.

Uncheck "loop select" and pick only the segments you want to offset?  Or just start your new circle on the center point of the existing one?

Really, it's not that difficult.  It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 90 of 123
not2013
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

That doesn't always work, it sometimes goes to the centerpoint and sometimes does not.  Then you have to go back and move it. But when inventor is not able to acknowledge centerpoints, endspoints and intersections due to it's unstable design then it becomes a whole new way of wasting time.   It is faster and more secure to do it in solidworks.  Solidworks has always been able to see and allow me to select them.  It is stable, inventor is not.

Message 91 of 123
not2013

Thats still an extra step dude, please recount? Again inventor cannot always understand centerpoint endpoints and intersections.  In Solidworks I never worry about it. Inventor i'm always double checking stuff in sketch mode.

Message 92 of 123
LT.Rusty

@not2013 wrote:

That doesn't always work, it sometimes goes to the centerpoint and sometimes does not.  Then you have to go back and move it. But when inventor is not able to acknowledge centerpoints, endspoints and intersections due to it's unstable design then it becomes a whole new way of wasting time.   It is faster and more secure to do it in solidworks.  Solidworks has always been able to see and allow me to select them.  It is stable, inventor is not.

Is the circle you're trying to go concentric to in the sketch you're currently working on?  The only time that Inventor doesn't snap to center / end / intersection points is if they're located in a different sketch.  Or, of course, if you didn't actually click on the center / end / intersection points ... but that would mean user error, and you seem to be pretty much incapable of that.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 93 of 123
not2013

I never selected loop select to begin with. Why should I have to undo autocads selections? Why can't it just be easy?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 94 of 123
LT.Rusty

@not2013 wrote:

I never selected loop select to begin with. Why should I have to undo autowrecks selections? Why can't it just be easy?

If you turn it off, it stays off until you turn it back on.

As for easy ... I've got an easy button sitting right on my desk.  You can't have it.  Go to Staples and buy your own.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 95 of 123
not2013

Sometimes inventor does not work properly  in those cases inventor does not reconize centerpoints, endpoints or intersections. It acts as if there is nothing in the sketch even though you may have a dozen or more intersections. It cannot reconize any of them.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 96 of 123
not2013

Never turned it on to begin with. Will never have to do that in Solidworks!

Message 97 of 123
LT.Rusty

Attach a part file that exhibits this behavior, and I'll fire up Camtasia and see if I can replicate it while recording.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 98 of 123
not2013

I will do that, have a nice day!

Message 99 of 123
Anonymous

Yep and I have seen Inventor crash 20x in the past 5 months, I have only
seen SolidWorks crash once which I do not remember if I did, I'm just giving
it the benefit of doubt.
Message 100 of 123
Paul-Mason

THEN STOP WINGING AND QUIT

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report