Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open file in same Inventor Window

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AhmetSevik
2990 Views, 6 Replies

open file in same Inventor Window

Hello,

When I want to open my inventor files on windows explore or my computer window then i click double on file (ipt, iam, idw) then my files opening in different inventor program windows.

I mean i have a open inwnetor window and i want to see in single inventor program window when i click double on file. But now always opening new inventor applications. Then i lost time and memory.

Do you have any solution about this? I have Windows 7 (64 bit) and Autodak inventor 2012...

Thank you.

Ahmet SEVIK / Turkey...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: AhmetSevik

The recommended process is to open Inventor files from Inventor NOT explorer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

The recommended process is to open Inventor files from Inventor NOT explorer

I agree with mcgyvr on this, but if you really want to open files from Windows Explorer, drag the file to Inventor on the task bar, wait until it receives focus, then drop your file on Inventor's title bar.  Works in XP, anyway.

Message 4 of 7
AhmetSevik

Firstly, i want to thanks to your answers.

ı know, i should to open in Inventor Aplication and i know i can drag and drop file to on Program tittle bar. But till now when i double click on files in explorer or my computer then worked. and files open in same aplication window.

But now i changed my computer and when i try now then doesnt work. 

If you know solution about double click then pls write here.

Thanks everybody.... 

Message 5 of 7
CAD-One

This is just me. File SHOULD be opened by double clicking it even in windows explorer. Why restricting to use application's open or drag n drop. I guess inventor open files in same session. Not sure if there is some thing under application options.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: CAD-One

I know this is an old post but I was currently having the same issue's and the only solution I found was to make sure your registry as DDE at end of extensions. This wasn't the solution in my case.

I narrowed it down to something to do with the un-installing of Inventor 2011(which i had done recently). You can run multiple version of Inventor on your PC I guess, but if you make changes, (such as un-installing) expect some difficulties due to Windows.

To solve my problem which was locating the file I want in windows explorer and double clicking it and having the file opening in a new instance of inventor; I un-installed everything Autodesk Inventor Related and reinstalled.

Now when I double click on any inventor file in windows explorer, it opens up in the already running instance of inventor. If one isn't open then a new instance of Inventor is opened.

I don't know if there is a solution to fix what is wrong with windows after un-installing previous versions of Inventor without un-installing everything but it worked.

Such a small/almost not worth it issue, but I am glad I took an hour to do this. My files are sorted through an excel sheet and the file location is stored there. Being able to open a file from excel/windows explorer is much faster and easier in my case. 

Later

Message 7 of 7
roman.zednik

Hello,

if someone is still having this problem this issue is solved on Autodesk support sites, here is the link.

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Opening-inventor-f...

Just folow the steps, for me personally worked on .iam file type, deleting the UserChoice Subfolder.

romanzednik_0-1687411867293.pngromanzednik_1-1687411901442.png

Have a good day.

R.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report