Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open AutoCAD 2005 file in enventor

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
172 Views, 7 Replies

Open AutoCAD 2005 file in enventor

I have a lot of 3D models in AutoCAD 2005 that I want to use in Inventor 9. But is it possible to convert AutoCAD 3D
models into Inventor ? When I just try to open the *.DWG file in Inventor there come only a empty sketch.

Is it at all possible to open 3D models, that are drawed in AutoCAD, in Inventor ?

/Jesper Hansen
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mount_mordor
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes it is possible to import Autocad 3D data, although it will become a dumb solid, and you will not be able to edit the features. To import data make sure you have selected to box show in the screenshot below
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I still only get a blank screen. I have attached a screenshot so you can see what i have done.

/Jesper
Message 4 of 8
mount_mordor

where is the screenshot?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I try again 🙂
Message 6 of 8
mount_mordor

Oh I think I see the problem.

From the 1st screenshot you sent me...in that dialogue box click next,

You will get a dialogue box which says "Import Destination Options" in which will have another title under it called "Destination for 2D data". I believe you have it set to "New Drawing" which is sending it to and idw. You want to select "NEW PART" and that should put the data into a new ipt template. Just make sure you have the proper template selected

Hopefully that works for you.
Message 7 of 8
mount_mordor

by the way after it imports IV creates 2 files, one that will look empty, (which I am not sure why it creates) and the correct file which will have your part in it
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

it is working 🙂 Thak you for your quick answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report