Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One way rotation simulation

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
carbunco
3500 Views, 21 Replies

One way rotation simulation

Hi there, please can some body help me, giving me an idea or solution how to create or how to set a one way rotation joint as a one way bearing will work on real life, is this possible?

Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
henderh
in reply to: carbunco

Hi carbunco,

I thought of a way we can use DS to mimick the one-way bearing / sprag clutch using a formula and condition in the input grapher.

What I propose is to add an external Torque load that is equal in magnitude, and opposite in direction to the torque within the revolution joint of interest, once a negative rotational velocity is detected.

I've attached the sample assembly in R2013 format that has this concept.  You can follow the step-by step instructions in the pasted images of how I created it.  

There are two blocks connected by a revolution joint.  There is an imposed torque within the joint in a sinusiodal waveform (positive and negative values) that will rotate the mobile block a few revolutions in the positive direction, then a few more revolutions in the negative direction.  If we apply the external torque with the equal and opposite formula, it will conteract the negative / back-swing rotation.

You may have to play around with the damping (and perhaps stiffness) in the revolution joint to minimize the small amount of backlash...

I hope this helps get you going...please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards, -Hugh

===============
DS_NG_carbunco_equal_and_opposite_torque_formula_condition.png

DS_NG_carbunco_set_the_condition.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 22
carbunco
in reply to: henderh

Hi Hugh, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have already try this trick but does not work for my project as I have to start all my motions from zero. The problem is that on my simulation presentations I can’t show an imposing motion from a different source this will be cheating, as I already have one point where I impose a motion:  the driving motion. The join has to be exactly as a one-way bearing starting from a resting position. I’m sure the engineers in Autodesk can make this configuration in not time, they miss this kind of setup.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

Al

Message 4 of 22
carbunco

Hi all, I'm still looking for the solution to my one way rotation simulation join. I another words: A revolution join on the simulation process must just rotate clockwise or anticlockwise, depends on the configuration, without an impose force or force torque setup before simulation. Please I need your help, or any advice how to do this.

Thank you.

Regards

Al

Message 5 of 22
henderh

Hi Al, I still haven't been able to find a way to easily specify a one-way rotation.  Therefore, I've logged a wish-list item in our database as 1493044 to add this functionality in a future release.

This topic did come up on an occasion before, but the user modeled the sprags themselves:  I'm trying to simulate a sprag clutch...(Simulation Help)

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 6 of 22
carbunco
in reply to: henderh

Hi Hugh

Thanks for taking this case to the wish-list data base; I hope we can get some news soon. But if you hear anything or any other suggestions how to make this joint function on one rotation I will really appreciated. I have try an spruk model, but when I run the simulation run very slow, as is to many functions to take care but the CPU, and will don't work right.

Best regards.

Al

Message 7 of 22
carbunco

Hi Hugh, 

Just to know if you have any news about the one-way rotation simulation from Autodesk. I'm so desperate that I will even willing to pay for the patch software to make this function happen on the simulation environment.

Please let me know anything about this issue.

Thanks for your help it is really much appreciated.

Al

Message 8 of 22
spark15

I also try to simulate the one way clotch but it fails. I found a video simulation on http://youtu.be/umaTetoaAao. Could anyone share what kind of joints he uses to get these movements?

Message 9 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: spark15

Can you attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 22
spark15
in reply to: JDMather

Here are the files one way bearing

One-way bearing

Message 11 of 22
JDMather

It will take me some time to look at this -

but first thing I notice - you will want to suppress the Compression Springs and add Spring Force Joints instead.

You will also need to set Dynamic Simulation Settings to Mico Mechanism Model.

I would start out with only one roller and pin in the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 22
spark15

but first thing I notice - you will want to suppress the Compression Springs and add Spring Force Joints instead.

Yes it is, but only in one direction of rotation of the inner ring

Is there a help for these settings?

Message 13 of 22
JDMather

@spark15 wrote:

Yes it is, but only in one direction of rotation of the inner ring

Is there a help for these settings?

I don't understand your first response.
I do understand how the mechanism works.

You need to take out the physical springs and replace them for analysis with Spring Joints in Dynamic Simulation.

For your second response - there are a couple of (poorly written) tutorials and you might get book by Wasim Younis (search Amazon).

The Micro Mechanism setting is accessed by expanding the dialog box for Simulation Settings.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow (I almost had this completed when work got in the way).  Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 22
spark15

The working principle is the following:
When rotating the inner ring on the right, the roller wedges into the inner ring and the outer ring so both rings rotate together.
When rotating the inner ring on the left, the roller rotates together with the inner ring and the outer ring is static.
The spring is for keeping the roller in a strained condition

Message 15 of 22
JDMather

@spark15 wrote:

I have already stated that I understand the working principle.

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Autodesk-Inventor-Professional-2014/dp/1489508619/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&q...

The cosmetic springs need to be taken out of the assembly and replaced with Dynamic Simulation Spring Joint forces.

Message 16 of 22
spark15

@Anonymous wrote:

@spark15 wrote:

I have already stated that I understand the working principle.

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Autodesk-Inventor-Professional-2014/dp/1489508619/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1381399224&sr=8-4&keywords=wasim+younis

Has a negative evaluations this book. Have you had to make a the simulation?

Message 17 of 22
JDMather

spark15 wrote:

Has a negative evaluations this book. Have you had to make a the simulation?

I recommended the book to you?

I almost have the simulation working - but the solver is very slow. 

Before I spend more time on this - are you doing this for analysis or simply for an animation?

Message 18 of 22
spark15

Is there any progress with the simulation or it is not possible to make this dynamic analysis?

Message 19 of 22
JDMather

I was getting close to a solution, but had to put it aside for other work.  My intention is to get back to it, but we are using Inventor 2014.

Message 20 of 22
spark15

The principle of simulation is important to me. There is no problem if you make it on Inventor 2014. It's important to uderstand the principle how you make it. I have serious difficulty with this simulation and I wouldl be grateful if you can make it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report