Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

older (iv10) drawing set open in 2013

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
ehinson
803 Views, 15 Replies

older (iv10) drawing set open in 2013

I hope somebody can help me. I have drawings (some with more than one sheet) from inventor 10. Now I like to open it in inventor 2013. The first sheet is showing, but I can't open the other sheets. I can print them, but I can see a listing of it or go to the sheet.

FYI, until December 2012 I worked in Inventor 10, now I have inventor 2013, so everything is new to me.

Please help. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: ehinson

When you say the first sheet is showing are you talking about that is the sheet that opens up on the screen?

When you say you can see a list of the other sheets are you talking about they are listed in the browser, but when

you click on them they don't open?

FYI, I hope you have backups of these files before trying to open them in 2013.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 16
ehinson

Correct, I can open the drawing and I see the first sheet, but I can not see the listing of the other sheets.

Yes, most of them I have backups, why?

Message 4 of 16
Cadmanto

I suggested the backup just in case something corrupts these files.  You would have something to fall back on.

Can you post one of the drawings here?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 16
ehinson
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,

Sorry, but I can not post the drawings.

I try to open other drawings where I know it has more than 1 page, same problem, it only has one sheet. No listing of other sheets.

Is there an other way to open the drawings and save them? 

Thanks for your suggestion.

Elke

Message 6 of 16
Cadmanto

Elke,

One option that comes to mind is if you still have 2010 available, call up these drawings one by one and save out each sheet as a seperate file.

Or if you have 2010 still loaded on the same machine as 2013, open them both up.  Have your drawing open in 2010

and copy each individual sheet into a new drawing file in 2013.

Either of these suggestions is time consuming depending on how many drawing files you have and how many sheets are in each file.  I am not sure why this is doing this to be honest.

Would you happen to be using vault?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 16
ehinson

Scott,

Thank you for the information, but I think I did not mentioned the correct version, it is Inventor release 10 (2006) not 2010.

Sorry for that.

Any thought how to convert that?

Vault, I do not use vault. I am not even sure it is installed on my computer.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Elke

Message 8 of 16
Cadmanto

Elke,

No problem, but that is a big difference.  You have a very big compatibility issue.

It is very important to convey this kind of info info, because you did say Inventor 10.  Smiley Happy

I know when we talked to our VAR about upgrading they said if you are too many versions

behind you have to upgrade with incremental steps.  Meaning in your case, 2006 to 2008

then 2008 to 2010 and so on.

Do you have these in between versions?  I ask because maybe because you are so far behind (or were)

you could reload the software in steps then upgrade the drawings.

Or try what I suggested in my last posting.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 16
ehinson

Scott,

Cat SadNo, 2013 is our only upgrade from version release 10 (2006).

No upgrades in betweenCat Frustrated.

Can you still help me?Cat Wink

Elke

Message 10 of 16
Cadmanto

Elke,

I would try what I suggested a few posts ago.  Either the copy paste or

saving out each sheet in 2006 as a seperate file.

Beyond that I am not sure what to suggest.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 16
ehinson

Scott,

thank you.

Message 12 of 16
ehinson

Scott,

I have upgraded to the new inventor because my older computer is not working anymore,

and with windows 7 the older inventor release 10 (2006), is not working on the new computer.

I do not have any problems with new AutoCad, so far.

What I do not understand is, I can print the pages, I can view the pages in Autodesk design review, but I can not save the drawings, with all pages, in Autodesk or convert them to dwg.

Why do I have install the old version of inventor (which will be a problem, because my computer is updated, +86 processor, and windows 7).

Do you have any more suggestion?

Thank you for your patient.

Regards

elke h.

Message 13 of 16
Cadmanto

Elke,

I am going to guess that your old machine was 32 bit and the new one is 64 bit.

That makes them very uncompatible unfortunately.

What I would suggest at this point is contact your VAR and see if they can offer you

some suggestions on how to convert these to the updated version.

I am still miffed like you that these callup blank even though there are several versions

between them.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 16
ampster402

I'm wondering where the OP got the software.  If they bought it from a VAR, they should have been warned about this situation and what to do.

Message 15 of 16
ehinson

My old computer was windows XP.

I received some information how to change the screen appearance, and now I can see the model panel that shows all the pages and details . For now I am ok, I do not have time to check all the other parts and drawings jet.

Thank you'all

Message 16 of 16
blair

Somewhere in Autodesk data, they don't recommend migrating more than 3 releases apart. As long as you have copies of the data, I would try running the Task Scheduler and try migrating just the IPT files the first run, then the IAM files the second run, any Presentation files and on the last run all the IDW's.

Part of the problem when opening a old IDW file is that it must migrate all the files that make up the IDW.

If you can contact your VAR they might have an old copy of Inventor that is about  1/2 way between your version and on the current version. You can run this as a 30 day demo to get your files migrated part way.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report