Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Defaults based on Active Standard?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
danzco
277 Views, 4 Replies

Object Defaults based on Active Standard?

On a daily basis I work with two different types of drawings; machining and fabrication.  The machine shop prefers dimensions in decimal inches, and the fab shop only understands fractional inches.  Is there any way to set up the styles/standards/templates to allow me to pick out which type of drawing I am creating and have Inventor use the correct object defaults for the dimensions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CadUser46
in reply to: danzco

There is two ways you can do this.
1. Setup two active standards. Either change to th one you want at the start of each drawing or setup two drawing templates with the standard already active in each one.
2. Using one active standard setup some different dimension styles. Some for decimal some for fractions. You can then either ctrl select the dim on the drawing and apply the Change to dim style or use the selection tool to select only dims and apply the style.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: CadUser46

I think your option #2 only works if you aren't using a global style library. There has been a feature request for a long time to allow this type of functionality but I don't believe its doable now with a style library.. You need to use local styles.. I could be wrong and I actually hope so because I've been doing #1 for a long time and its an extra step.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
danzco
in reply to: mcgyvr

CadUser46 is (I think) referring to selecting the dimensions on the drawing and using the Annotate->Format->Style drop down.  If you have multiple dimension styles set up they will be listed there and can be applied.  The unfortunate part is that this is an override option; only dimensions that are selected will be changed.  The drop down doesn't actually populate until you select something.

Setting up two drawing templates, one referencing a wach standard worked for me.  I had not played with creating a second style for the object defaults; that was the key.  Thanks for the responses.

Message 5 of 5
CadUser46
in reply to: danzco

Danzco. You are correct, that is what I was meaning. For some reason i was thinking you might only wanted to change some dims. I was going from memory and typing on the iPhone :(. Glad it worked.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report