Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O-Ring Generator Only Showing One Size, regardless of type?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
tdswanson
1467 Views, 14 Replies

O-Ring Generator Only Showing One Size, regardless of type?

Hey everyone:

When I try to use the o-ring generator, I can choose the standard for the O-ring, (Parker Internal pressure at this point) by using the small button with the triangle.  However, when I click the button with the three dots on it to choose the size, only one size shows up and I can't change it.

Is there a magic trick to choosing a different size, or do I have a content center issue?

Thx

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tdswanson
in reply to: tdswanson

Anyone?

Message 3 of 15
SBix26

Inventor version? (Hint: put it in your signature)

Message 4 of 15
tdswanson
in reply to: SBix26

Good tip.  It's Inventor 2012, haven't upgraded to 2013 yet.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
SBix26

Does it do that for any size shaft?  I tried it on a 3/8" dia shaft, and only got one choice.  But on a 1" dia I got four choices.

Edit: sorry, just re-read your first post-- you're working on an internal O-ring.  Seems to have more choices for some sizes than for others, though.  What kind of configuration are you trying to apply it to?

Message 6 of 15
SBix26

OK, now I've played with it a little bit-- even though you only have one size showing in the table, you can configure it graphically by dragging the ID and cross-section controls on the screen.  In the case I tried, it was a little flakey and took several tries to get the thin section and relatively small ID that I wanted, but it appears to be possible.

Message 7 of 15
tdswanson
in reply to: SBix26

I'm actually building a leak test fixture.  So I've got a simple flat plate with some locating pins sticking up to locating a machined casting.  The end user will drop the part down over the locators, then clamp to create the face seal, plug some other holes and apply pressure to the casting.

Just saw your post about dragging the glyphs.  Yes it works, but wow that's goofy.  Is this how it works for everyone or do I have something wonky on my machine?

Attached is a simplified rep of the application I would have.

Also, I'm guessing that there's no provision for dovetail or half-dovetail grooves in the design accelerator?

Thanks again for your help!

Message 8 of 15
Jon.Dean

When you first enter the O-Ring generator and before selecting any surfaces, hit the O-Ring selector, you will see many sizes, as shown in my screenshot.

If you first select the radial surface and seating face, then you will only see the sizes that fit the dimensions of the groove.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 9 of 15
SBix26
in reply to: Jon.Dean

OP was trying to use the Axial Internal Pressure series, and for me (2012), it does not show the complete table, only the cross section and ID of the smallest one in the series (see attached screen shot).  Only way I can see to change size is with the grips, and these are really difficult to manage.

Message 10 of 15
tdswanson

Jon -

I'm trying to do a face seal, which would seem to be axial internal.

When I choose "O-ring" and then set the type to axial internal (before choosing any surfaces), then click the size and I still only show one size in the table just like the JPG I posted above.

Also - there is no groove yet.  I'm looking to let the design accelerator create the groove for me.

Any thoughts?

Message 11 of 15
Jon.Dean

It is the same for all standards, you can only pick one o-ring, you change the size dynamically.

I agree it is a little tricky but possible. It will cut the groove for you.

Give it a try.

Jon

Jon Dean

Message 12 of 15
tdswanson

Yes, I've experimented now and found this to be true.  It's a little strange to have the list available to you and not be able to use it at all.

When I was trying to do this, I was creating a seal on a fairly large diameter, so I was zoomed out quite a ways.  So the little tiny oring comes in and the glyphs are so small that I wouldn't have thought to zoom way in and have to drag it all the way out.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to have the issue resolved.

Any provisions coming up for dovetail and/or half-dovetail grooves?  Turns out, I rarely ever use a "regular" groove because we need the seal retention provided by the dovetail.

Thank you all for your help!

Message 13 of 15
Jon.Dean

I think over the last couple of releases we have not seen a lot of change in the O-Ring section of the Design Acceleerators. I can open a Wish on your behalf, hopefully development will review the wish.

Jon

Jon Dean

Message 14 of 15
sgold

I just messed with this for the first time.  I wouldn't consider it goofy, it downright SUCKS to drag the handles.  If I actually had some control over the handles it would be great to size as you drag, but I could never get it to just stop on the dimension I wanted without lots of trial and error.  Have both capabilities would be good, drag handles or specify from a list of all available sizes.  So enhancement (more like fix it) would be nice for the axial selection.

--Scott

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD
Message 15 of 15
sgold
in reply to: sgold

AH, here's an improvment.  Doesn't tell you, but you can double click the drag arrow to select a size from the drop down, and it looks like the drop down provides all available sizes!

--Scott

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report