Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

jeremy_Ross
Message 1 of 25 (457 Views)

Number of nodes when Importing Vector File to Inventor

457 Views, 24 Replies
05-29-2012 07:23 AM

Hey all,,

What I am trying to do is importing a CorelDraw file into Inventor and extruding a few features.  The point is to mimic a silkscreen file on metal work.  My work process has been as such: create the file in CorelDraw and change all lines/shapes to curves.  Save the complete CorelDraw as a dwg.  Open the dwg in Inventor and copy and paste the sketch into a new part in Inventor.  This process seems to work for simple parts.  As soon as there is text and more complicated features there is alot of points which slows my computer down and makes it impossible to do anything.  Does anyone know a way to auto-reduce points in a sketch or have a better way of importing vector files into Inventor? 

Thanks,

Note - I have tried importing the text as text instead of curves but it does not transfer correctly.

valenciar
Message 2 of 25 (424 Views)

Re: Number of nodes when Importing Vector File to Inventor

07-31-2012 09:34 AM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

I have the same problem and nobody seems to be responding.

*Expert Elite*
Inv_kaos
Message 3 of 25 (402 Views)

07-31-2012 08:13 PM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

Do you not have access to this font (or one close enough) in Inventor?

I am not familiar with CorelDraw but can you convert to splines not arcs?

You might have more luck rationalising these curves in AutoCAD before you bring it in to Inventor.

Post a sample of your dwg output and I will have a look.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 25 (381 Views)

08-01-2012 06:21 AM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

Why are you working so hard?

Do it all in Inventor.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
valenciar
Message 5 of 25 (376 Views)

08-01-2012 06:57 AM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

So the solution is re-draw. Brilliant!!! All I have to do is spend more hours re drawing logos that we already spent hours drawing them in corel. Very helpful.

jeremy_Ross
Message 6 of 25 (370 Views)

08-01-2012 07:14 AM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

I have yet to find a good solution to this problem and have ended up doing most of my drawings in Inventor and then importing them over to Inventor.  I do not like this solution as most of the logos/artwork are vector files as well as I like having the original vector files drive the silkscreen. 

A solution I've seen sometimes work is:

- if you export to a dwg, go to Inventor and click the "Open DWG" tab in the open bar.  Then openyour dwg and then copy it to a plane in Inventor in a different window and work with it there.  For some wierd reason by opening a dwg in Inventor ( don't import it though) and copying to a sketch plane on a different part helps a bit

- you could also create a plane underneath your original artwork when importing into Inventor and recreate your logos with arcs (splines have given me some problems)

Both these solutions are a terrible waste of time and will cause you headaches if you need to make changes to your artwork.

I really wish Autodesk would find a way to autoreduce points with simple imported sketches.  Especially when you get tons of line sections to what ammounts to a straight line.

Good luck

*Expert Elite*
Inv_kaos
Message 7 of 25 (367 Views)

08-01-2012 07:39 AM in reply to: valenciar

This is how most people do it. How often do you change your company logo?

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
valenciar
Message 8 of 25 (363 Views)

08-01-2012 07:44 AM in reply to: Inv_kaos

It's our clients logos. We are in the Display industries. We have over 100 clients with very complex logos. They also have sub products with their own logos and those are changed ones a year. In most cases, I need to extrude them. I can't even put them in my templates without spending days on it much as extruding them.

*Expert Elite*
Inv_kaos
Message 9 of 25 (362 Views)

08-01-2012 07:46 AM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

jeremy_Ross wrote:

I really wish Autodesk would find a way to autoreduce points with simple imported sketches.  Especially when you get tons of line sections to what ammounts to a straight line.

Inventor is a 3D modelling package, why bring in rubbish and expect Inventor to clean it up. Fix the input before you copy it in. The source of the probelm is the converting raster to vector not Inventor.

Stew, AICP
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 10 of 25 (360 Views)

08-01-2012 07:47 AM in reply to: jeremy_Ross

Hi jeremy_Ross,

If you place the imported geometry into a sketch block, I think you might gain a bit of performance when working with these items. After you paste in the geometry use the Create Block button.

Sketch tab > Layout panel > Create Block button

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.