Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of nodes when Importing Vector File to Inventor

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
jeremy_Ross
1682 Views, 24 Replies

Number of nodes when Importing Vector File to Inventor

Hey all,,

What I am trying to do is importing a CorelDraw file into Inventor and extruding a few features.  The point is to mimic a silkscreen file on metal work.  My work process has been as such: create the file in CorelDraw and change all lines/shapes to curves.  Save the complete CorelDraw as a dwg.  Open the dwg in Inventor and copy and paste the sketch into a new part in Inventor.  This process seems to work for simple parts.  As soon as there is text and more complicated features there is alot of points which slows my computer down and makes it impossible to do anything.  Does anyone know a way to auto-reduce points in a sketch or have a better way of importing vector files into Inventor? 

Thanks,

Note - I have tried importing the text as text instead of curves but it does not transfer correctly.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
valenciar
in reply to: jeremy_Ross

I have the same problem and nobody seems to be responding.

Message 3 of 25
Inv_kaos

Do you not have access to this font (or one close enough) in Inventor?

I am not familiar with CorelDraw but can you convert to splines not arcs?

You might have more luck rationalising these curves in AutoCAD before you bring it in to Inventor.

Post a sample of your dwg output and I will have a look.

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 4 of 25
JDMather

Why are you working so hard?

Do it all in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 25
valenciar

So the solution is re-draw. Brilliant!!! All I have to do is spend more hours re drawing logos that we already spent hours drawing them in corel. Very helpful.

Message 6 of 25
jeremy_Ross

I have yet to find a good solution to this problem and have ended up doing most of my drawings in Inventor and then importing them over to Inventor.  I do not like this solution as most of the logos/artwork are vector files as well as I like having the original vector files drive the silkscreen. 

A solution I've seen sometimes work is:

- if you export to a dwg, go to Inventor and click the "Open DWG" tab in the open bar.  Then openyour dwg and then copy it to a plane in Inventor in a different window and work with it there.  For some wierd reason by opening a dwg in Inventor ( don't import it though) and copying to a sketch plane on a different part helps a bit

- you could also create a plane underneath your original artwork when importing into Inventor and recreate your logos with arcs (splines have given me some problems)

Both these solutions are a terrible waste of time and will cause you headaches if you need to make changes to your artwork.

I really wish Autodesk would find a way to autoreduce points with simple imported sketches.  Especially when you get tons of line sections to what ammounts to a straight line.

Good luck

Message 7 of 25
Inv_kaos
in reply to: valenciar

This is how most people do it. How often do you change your company logo?

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 8 of 25
valenciar
in reply to: Inv_kaos

It's our clients logos. We are in the Display industries. We have over 100 clients with very complex logos. They also have sub products with their own logos and those are changed ones a year. In most cases, I need to extrude them. I can't even put them in my templates without spending days on it much as extruding them.

Message 9 of 25
Inv_kaos

@jeremy_Ross wrote:

I really wish Autodesk would find a way to autoreduce points with simple imported sketches.  Especially when you get tons of line sections to what ammounts to a straight line.

Inventor is a 3D modelling package, why bring in rubbish and expect Inventor to clean it up. Fix the input before you copy it in. The source of the probelm is the converting raster to vector not Inventor.

Stew, AICP
Message 10 of 25

Hi jeremy_Ross,

If you place the imported geometry into a sketch block, I think you might gain a bit of performance when working with these items. After you paste in the geometry use the Create Block button.

Sketch tab > Layout panel > Create Block button

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 25
valenciar

I agree with your 1st statement. but these "rubbish" are from our clients. When I open them on corel, the straight lines are one section and curves are from circles trimmed. they are simple. i export them as dxf or dwg to autocad. Then autocad will segment them. So will inventor. I re construct in inventor for hours.

I don't know how it is in other industries, but in POP and displays, you dont mess with the clients logo. And you don't refer to them as rubbish. It's what get us paid.

Message 12 of 25
Inv_kaos

So you have to design your client logos for them in CorelDraw, not just cut the profiles?

You never posted a file. Have you tried creating an ifeature for the logo then using that to cut the shape? Quite often logos have to be modified so they can be cut out from a part anyway which would lend itself to redrawing. If the source information is so bad you will find it can often be done quicker in Inventor.

Stew, AICP
Message 13 of 25
Inv_kaos

Rubbish is the output from CorelDraw, not necessarily their logo. What is the definition/tolerance of the products you produce? You might find you can rationalise lost of the small curves and lines in AutoCAD before bringing it into Inventor.

"It's what get us paid."

So trace over it in Inventor and cash the check when you are done Smiley Wink

Stew, AICP
Message 14 of 25
valenciar

It's handling the file within the sketch is the problem. It takes too much memory. It's not the same as extruding in autocad. (which I've been doing). It's those **** nodes.

Message 15 of 25
Inv_kaos

Who said anything about extruding in AutoCAD..

Stew, AICP
Message 16 of 25
valenciar

The topic is nodes. I already know your suggestion. That's what Im doing all this time. I was hoping someone can come up with a quicker explanation. Something outside the obvious.

Message 17 of 25
valenciar

Autocad can handle the lines better. It doesn't stall. So I make my solids in autocad and bring it in as a step file. If I need to change the size, I have to repeat the process.

Message 18 of 25
Inv_kaos

Doesn't sound like you have tried any of the suggetions. If you are just here to vent then good luck.

Stew, AICP
Message 19 of 25

Hi valenciar,

You may be able to reduce the nodes in AutoCAD quite easily. Are the profiles polylines or splines or somthing else?

Can you post an example file for others to look at?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 20 of 25
sam_m

here's what I do for CorelDraw to Inventor:

multi-coloured logos/artwork and anything complex - export as an image and decal in Inventor (never use jpg but something lossless like png). As soon as you have multiple colour logos/artworks then it's a mess trying to deal with all those colours in Inventor, it's just not designed to deal with it. Yes, I know, a decal isn't what you're after but what are you wanting to do with it in Inventor? If it's to create renders then a decal is usually pretty decent

single-colour logos (and ideally not too complex ones) - convert the CorelDraw graphics to a ttf font file and use that in Inventor. Find it FAR easier positioning, scaling and rotating a font symbol than a sketch full of 100s of lines. To do this you need the logo as a a single object within CorelDraw, so weld/conbine all shapes together and no edges can overlap/cross, but if you know what you're doing then can create semi-complex (single colour) logos as a single keypress within a ttf font file (eg, we have the company logo, WEEE wheelie bins, CE symbols etc as a single key-press within 1 font). These then emboss, extrude, etc within Inventor (personally have found extrude seems to work better than emboss tho). If you've only got single-colour logos then I would highly recommend looking into this method.

also... remember CorelDraw has the auto node reducer which could help simplify the complexity of any artwork whether you're thinking of the ttf route or going back to dxf import.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report