Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice Advice for my first iLogic Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
SteveFrey
1658 Views, 5 Replies

Novice Advice for my first iLogic Assembly

All of you have been so kind to me over the years by giving me great advice, I wish to return the favor someday.  Until then I have yet another question.  I want to start using iLogic and would like to understand it broken down in its simplest form.  What I mean by this is when I learned Inventor if someone explained to me or better yet had a flow chart that showed:

1)  start with a basic part file, create a sketch, extrude to a part,

2)  an assembly consists of two or more parts.

3)  a drawing is just that: a detailed desciption of a part or an assembly

Well you get the idea........it would have made things a lot easier for me to conceptualize while in the early learning process.  That's just me. 

So my question is how would you describe the basics of iLogic?  I understand what it does but for the life of me cannot grasp the workflow.  Where do you start?  What are the best basic work practices?  I need to be able to create assemblies that are basically templates that can be easily called up and re-used or saved as new assemblies for similar designs for different customers.  I'm doing this currently by controlling these assemblies with parameters by an excel file or a dummy parameter part file.  It appears that iLogic (once learned) is an easier way to do this. 

So if anyone has a bare bones caveman-like approach (iLogic for Dummies) please let me know.  I really want to learn and apply this to my work as I know it will make things flow smoother for me.  Thank you.

Steve

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi SteveFrey,

If you've not walked through these tutorials yet, this is the first place to start. They really are quite good for becoming familiar with the general workflow.  They might seem a bit abstract when you go through them, but once you work through them they'll serve as a foundation.

iLogic Basics

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0261-iLogic_B2...

iLogic - Part Modeling

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0310-iLogic_-3...

iLogic - Assemblies

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0328-iLogic_-3...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6

Holy confusing!  I will need to read them several hundred times each for it to sink in.  When I watch youtube videos of iLogic it seems somewhat clear with the exception of the code which i guess is learned in time.  Its only when I try to apply it to what I am doing is when I start to panic.  Well, off to do some light reading.  Thanks again!

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 6
Josy05
in reply to: SteveFrey

Hi Steve,

I'm at the same point you were earlier this year, did you get thru the tutorials or had help?

I would also like the ILogic for Dummies version since I'm not good at all with programming type of work. I'm a draftperson and need to produce, we each have our skills and ILogic is not one of mine.

I'm presently looking at the tutorials and doing my best, but it's like chineese to me since they show stuff completely different than what I need. I'm in the architectural field so demos showing mechanical logic is hard to grasp, thus creating parameters and equations based on my needs becomes a challenge.

Josee Laplante
BIM Drafting Technician

AutoCAD 2016
Inventor Professional 2016
Vault Professional 2016
Revit 2014
Message 5 of 6
SteveFrey
in reply to: Josy05

I tried several times but its just too confusing at this time for me.  I really need to do this one on one with someone or do it over a gotomeeting.  Have you had much luck?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 6 of 6
cwhetten
in reply to: SteveFrey

Check this out:

My First Plug-In Training

It goes over the very basics of programming for Inventor, not assuming any prior programming experience.  It focuses on developing a plug-in rather than specifically on iLogic, but if you can get a handle on the fundamentals there, you will be able to understand iLogic much better than before.

I highly recommend going through each of the lessons.  Then, you might have a better foundation to move on to the iLogic tutorials Curtis linked above.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report