Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT WORKING WITH WINDOWS 8.1

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
0wp2
25504 Views, 26 Replies

NOT WORKING WITH WINDOWS 8.1

Is there any way to get AI 2013 or 2014 to run with Windows 8.1? I had been using it with windows 7 then when I upgraded I recieve an error message and Inventor wont open. All of the other programs that came with prossetional work such as the trueview and design review it is just inventor that wont open?

Please help if you can I have been doing on going design with inventor for school and I would hate to have to switch CAD programs!

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
SeanFarr
in reply to: 0wp2

Check out this thread : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Autodesk-Inventor-2013-and-Windows-8-1-Desktop-Previ...

looks like you either have to roll back to windows 7 , or as you said roll over to a new CAD platform.

Just a side note, always research compatibilty before making such drastic changes to an already working system.

Good Luck!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 3 of 27
autocad.phil

The other thread is mostly about AI 2013.

My AI 2014 (also Autocad Mech 2014) appears to work just fine with the latest Win 8.1P (surprised me lol).

--
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2019 | Perpetual + Subscription
Message 4 of 27
autocad.phil
in reply to: autocad.phil

I probably should mention i have Autocad Inventor 2014 SP1 and Autocad Mechanical 2014 SP1 too (and there's an autocad hotfix for 8.1 that i just plugged in).  (Be sure it's the SP1 type.)

--
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2019 | Perpetual + Subscription
Message 5 of 27

We are issuing dll's that will fix the win8.1 issues for Inventor 2012 & 2013, on a request-only basis at this point. Official hotfixes will be released in the coming weeks.

If you need the fixed dll's then please contact me directly as there are some very specific manual install steps required.

Thanks

Chris

chris.mitchell@autodesk.com

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 27

AutoCAD 2014 is not working after installing Windows 8.1 Pro. Tried reinstalling but it didn´t do.

Message 7 of 27
jldealba
in reply to: ashleyfarias

Same problem ^^^ Has anyone found a fix??

URGENT

Thank you

Message 8 of 27
DarrenP
in reply to: jldealba

go back to windows 8

there are several threads on windows 8.1 not working correctly

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 27
ashleyfarias
in reply to: DarrenP

Found out how to fix it!
Go to Microsoft support and reinstall Visual Studio C++ 2008 and/or 2010.
For some random reason updating gets rid of them, or so thinks AutoCAD.
Message 10 of 27
devindand
in reply to: ashleyfarias

I am having the same problem. Wonder when the hotfixes are going to be uploaded.

Message 11 of 27
devindand

I am going to install the 2013 version without uninstalling the 2014 version and see if it works. Hope it does because I really want to do some CADding. Well, atleast I know that I am not the only one having this problem.

Message 12 of 27
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: devindand

All fixes have been released. please see the Data/Downloads pages for your specific release & install the very latest updates.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?linkID=9242019&id=2334435&siteID=123112

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 27
umurbaris

Hi there. I want to write a method to achieve the compatibility of Windows 8.1 and Inventor 2014.

I was using the O.S. Windows 8.0. Inventor and AutoCAD have already installed with their Service Packs and I was using them properly. Last night I have decided to upgrade my PC to 8.1. After upgrading, neither Inventor nor AutoCAD have worked. I mean, everytime I launch Inventor, the launch picture showed up and suddenly disappeared afterwards. (Without giving any error) Thus, I had made a really big search on the Web for hours, but I did not found anything useful. I saw lots of people complained about this issue also. I tried to uninstall and then reinstall the SP1 several times but it did not worked also.

Then, I decided to uninstall all the Autodesk products from my PC, with clean uninstall instructions from Autodesk Website. After uninstalling completely, I reinstalled Inventor and its SP1 at the setup. Fortunately, this method worked for me and the issue was resolved at last. That's why I wanted to write an explanation about my problem. As I said, when I make the research, I saw a lot of people who are complaining about the similar problem. I hope this method helps them also.

If any questions, don't hesitate to contact with me about this issue.

Best regards...

Message 14 of 27
blair

There are SP's and Hot-fixes that have addressed many of the Win8 and 8.1 issues. Have you taken the time to check the ADSK website for them for your ADSK product. The link is at the bottom of this page titled: "Service packs & updates".

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 27
hunterseitz
in reply to: blair

A couple weeks ago I went through the Inventor-2014 SP1 install, update1, update2 process. It worked at that time. But now Inventor is crashing again every time I try to launch it. There are no new downloads available.

Message 16 of 27

You are correct; there are no new updates available for this. What's changed since you last had this working OK ?

When it crashes, do you get the option to submit an Autodesk CER, or is it crashing striaght to the Microsoft crash handler ? if you are submitting an Autodesk CER, then what email address are you using to send them in ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 27
blair
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

The normal process would be to install Win8.0, then upgrade to Win 8.1, then install Inventor and the SP's and Updates. Your procedure of installing IV2014, then the SP's and Updates and then upgrading to Win 8.1 will over write some of the DLL's required in the Updates and SP for Inventor to run on Win8.1. Most likely you will now need to un-install Inventor which will also remove the SP's and Updates. You will then need to re-install Inventor on Win 8.1 and then the SP's and Updates.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 27
umurbaris
in reply to: hunterseitz

Follow the clean uninstall procedures in the Autodesk website. Then reinstall all the products and Service Packs.
Message 19 of 27
Jamesem2
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris,
is it necessary to reinstall all of the updates(2012), the most current SP/update would address all issues?
thanks, Jim
Message 20 of 27
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Jamesem2

No, you don't need to install every one of them. The Updates are cumulative & therefore include all of the prior updates back to the last Service Pack level.

So to get to the latest/greatest for 2012, you would need to install 2012 SP2 & then install update4 for SP2.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report