Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT SURE----with axis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
475 Views, 7 Replies

NOT SURE----with axis

Hi there

I dont know what to call this type of problem so Im having trouble trying to search for a solution.

The problem is with the axis on the bottom left of the screen. If i am looking at the assembly from the front, shouldnt the axis be normal.

By normal i mean y on the top, x to the right and z coming out at you? Is there a way to reset this to match. If I have created assemblies with this part not matching, and I bring those assemblies to another assembly, they come in all strange and all the wrong angles.

Ive tried contraining this particular in my assembly that Im using to the xy plane but i keep getting a constraint error even though I can freely move the model around. I dont know why it wont constrain or if thats even the right thing to do.

Please help me.

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You can constrain to the Origin workplanes in any orientation that you need (I don't worry too much about the terms "top, front or right" as those are all releative.

Unground the logical base component and Mate  or Mate Flush the part origin planes to the assembly origin planes.

You might also check the right click options you have on the view cube.

Glass Cube.png

If you cannot diagnose assembly constraint errors - attach your assembly here.

From your problem description it sounds to me like you have more than one issue to resolve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: JDMather

So when creating a new part, Your XY axis is on the side instead of the bottom. So you might think you are drawing on the bottom but meanwhile you are drawing on the side. So what I  would normally do, when I create new sketch, I will go to my home view before I select a plane. See attachment.

When getting to the assembly, always place your first component as "Grounded" (Right-click > Grounded) So it will place the XYZ from the part on the XYZ from the assembly. So following this it will make your life easier when designing.

You can also reset your home view and change the Top and Front view of your model by getting the required view > right-clicking on the viewcube > and changing the viewcube.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think the component occurrences in the assembly are rotated to an oblique angle compared to the origin planes in the assembly. I guess the geoemtry might come from a different CAD system right? Regardless, you can right-click on one of the components oriented awkwardly -> iProperties -> Occurrences -> look at the Offset to Origin at the bottom. It might show angular offsets to the origin planes. You can unground it or remove some assembly constraints. Then constrain it to global origin planes in the assembly. Does it help?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

ok so what ive come to understand is that I need to actually constrain my assembly to the planes. Normally I just place my component and set the face of whatever I want to be the front, as the front. So my front could be facing any direction at that point.

Well I think I get it now. thanks

but while im here instead of making a new post------why when projecting geometry are some things coming through as blue and some green?

Message 6 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan

If you are using the "Winter Night" color scheme (Grey Background) The green lines would be the lines that are not contraint and the blue lines would be the lines that is contrained.

In Inventor your sketches should always be FULLY CONTRAINT. by using geometric and dimensional contraints you should get your whole sketch blue. You can also see at the bottom right of your sketch when a sketch is fully constraint.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

I use the sky - 1 color

a lot of times its hard to see the purple lines and circles that I place on sketches before they are constrained. If the part is orange then the colors are tricky to distingush. is there not a way to make the sketches a different color .

I usually always constrain everything till its blue so thats why I a bit confused as to why it comes out blue and green. I could be projecting holes off the same face from the same sketch and some of them will be a different color even though they are all contrained together. If I see it again I will take a screen shot. I did apply the update 3 today so hopefully it helps with things. 

My graphics card is set to let the application decide on the settings.

Message 8 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan

Lets see if that works. If not please send me that screenshot.

Jo - Ann

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report