Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not checked out to you. Edits are not allowed

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
corey781
5022 Views, 18 Replies

Not checked out to you. Edits are not allowed

I have been trying for a few hours now to solve the problem in the subject line. I Believe I have tried everything I could find on the forum to no avail. Im not using vault. All components belong to the same project file. I am lost. Can i send my file to someone to see if this can be resolved or does anybody have some input. I havent been using Inventor for too long, maybe 6 months, so I could just be missing something obvious.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: corey781

Not sure how you got to that state (can you attach the file here?).

You could try File>Save As>Save as Copy (new name) and try editing the copy file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
corey781
in reply to: JDMather

Message 4 of 19
JDMather

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
corey781

Can I email you the files?

Message 7 of 19
corey781
in reply to: cbenner

Its about a 50/50 mix. Some components were imported as step files then saved as ipt's. The rest were created by me.

Message 8 of 19
Cadmanto

When you use the term "Checked out" that is a "Vault term.  Once things are checked out, the files can be altered to have the link to the vault broken.

Maybe that is the condition you have here.  Is vault involved?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 19
corey781
in reply to: Cadmanto

No vault. This is just a single user application. That was something I checked. I also tried saving and reopening as a new file but that was a no go as well.

Message 10 of 19
blair

This used to be an issue way back with "Isolated" and "Semi-Isolated" Project files. I don't know if Charles Bliss's code will still work to "steal" check-outs. You can try the "Check-In/Check/Out" utility and see if it still works. One might be able to do the same thing now with iCode.

http://cbliss.com/inventor/iCode/index.htm

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 19
JDMather

@corey781 wrote:

Can I email you the files?

Only need one part file that exhibits this behavior -

or use Autodesk 360 as a drop-box.

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
corey781

Sorry I should have said earlier, the problem doesnt seem to be with parts. Whenever I try to edit something from a sub assembly, say an actuator, in my entire machine assembly I get this fault. If I work with any parts I created, it doesnt seem to be a problem.

Message 13 of 19
JDMather

What about when you open just the sub-assembly iam file?

Have you tried a Save Copy As of the main assembly?

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
QuasiMojo

Try this:

1. Appliaction Options -- General.  Check the box for "Enable creation of legacy project types."

2. Close every open file, (but not Inventor) This should land you back at the "Get Started" tab.

3. Make a "New SHARED Project" (second to last radio button in the given options). Call it whatever you want.

Activate this new project.

4. Open the files(s) in question.

5. The hard-to-find menu!  See your model tree that lists all your features, and origin and all that?  Look just above where it says "Model".  Click that, it's a menu.  Select "File Status" and you get a list of the files you have in session.  The ones with the green check box are good, the ones with the red x's are your problem parts.

6.  Right-click on the problem file and slect "Resolve"

7. You'll get a pop-up dialog.  Select "Steal Checkout" and you will then be able to save changes.

8.  Complain to Audotesk that they haven't fixed this super annoying behavior for people not using Vault.  You'll lose the ability to edit your own files if you simply copy or move to another directory.

Hope that works for you.

A

Message 15 of 19
dominic.tunnell

Hi

Are you using a shared project file. If not create a shared project file ensuring that the project file path is directed to where you have sotred your files and the type is shared

Share Project.png

Next go into options and where your intials are shown on the first page tick the "enable creation of legacy project types" check box and apply and close. Now goto the projects tabe and select the project name that you created for your assembly.

Open the Assembly and got to the browser bar and expand the tab and select file status

File status.png

Higlight and right clicj on the assembly name and click "check out tree". It will then as you to check out, type "y" for yes and save. Now you should be able to do what you want

Message 16 of 19

Sorry I didn't see the reply from Autodesk
Message 17 of 19
radar696
in reply to: QuasiMojo

Okay so I have been able to use some of this information but I have run into a road block.

When I select model at the top of tree it only gives me the first three choices.

I do not see file status.

Could this have been changed in my version of Inventor?

I'm using ver. 2014 and have been haivng this problem since I copied all of my files to my laptop to work on while I have been away from the office.

I created a project and it shows the check mark next to it in the project list, so I'm hoping that means that it is activated.

All of the files that I'm attempting to use were created by me using this same laptop but most of them were created while I was using the network at the office.

So now I am unable to alter my assemblies as I attempt build them.

Oh sure I can build and alter any new files I create but once I save them and give them a name it's lights out.

I've attached a screen capture of the warning message.

There must be something that I still don't have set correctly.

Please give me a few more things I should check.

Radar

P.S.  I sure would like to know how you attach a JPG so it will appear in the message window.

Message 18 of 19
blair
in reply to: radar696

You have a different problem than this original post.

By definition, all Folders in the Project File that are listed as Library Folders are Read-Only. You need to edit your Project File or create a new Project File that has the required folder designated as your Work Folder so that you can edit your files within this Folder.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 19
radar696
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair,

With a little more digging thanks to your insight I was able to make the adjustment I needed.

It appears to be working for me now.

Radar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report