Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Behaviour? - Re: Circular Pattern

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
GSE_Dan_A
489 Views, 7 Replies

Normal Behaviour? - Re: Circular Pattern

Hello all,

Not sure if this is normal behaviour for IV 2013 (with SP 1.1 installed).  When changing a circular hole pattern quantity (ie from 6 instances to 8), the additional 2 holes do not appear in the part after finishing command.

Steps I have performed....

1. Create a circular pattern on part surface (6 holes)

2. Use Hole command to generate holes in part (everything works as expected).

3. Go back into sketch with circular pattern and change instances from 6 to 8 and finish sketch.

The 6 holes will be visible, but the last 2 holes additonal holes are not present.

When going in reverse (from 8 holes to 6), the part updates as expected.

This may be typical in how Inventor handles this, but one would think that when you change the pattern, the holes should update to the correct number in the part.  The only way around this is to go into the Hole feature and manually select the 2 additonal points.

Hole Pattern - 8 Holes.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Assuming you have created the large circle with the hole pattern in it as one extrusion, you will have to reselect the profiles, then deselect the 2 new holes.

Message 3 of 8
GSE_Dan_A

John,

Thank you for your response.  The pattern was generatred after the extrusion of the round plate.  The hole pattern is done within Sketch 2 and then I use the Hole feature to create them.  Once I execute this command and go back to sketch 2 to change the instances, the part will not show the additional holes.  (like in my previous example of 6 holes to 8, the addional 2 holes will not show up).  As I mentioned before, you would think the pattern would update seeing as the Hole feature is dependent upon Sketch 2 (where the circular hole pattern is located).

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 4 of 8
GSE_Dan_A

Here is a snapshot of my browser and the part showing the sketch2 visibility and how the part looks once I change it from 6 to 8 holes and then complete the command.

I know this is a very small inconvenince compared to other bugs/behaviour that is within this program, but I just thought I would bring it up as it may be an error in my workflow or my installation of IV.

Hole Pattern - 8 Holes sketch.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Does exactly the same here.

I would put in one hole, then pattern the feature.

It will then update as you want.

Message 6 of 8
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks John for confirming.  So I suppose its not a bug and just my workflow... Glad I have this confirmed and sorted.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

You can edit the Hole feature and click the additional points, but pattern of sketch enities should always be used as last option - pattern of features is more robust technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
GSE_Dan_A

Thanks JD for the tip.  I convinced my boss to buy Curtis' and Wasim's book from Amazon as per yours (and others) suggestion.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report