Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-unique project file names

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
mcgyvr
4301 Views, 16 Replies

Non-unique project file names

Can someone tell me why I'm getting this error? see attached.

I guess I have my projects set up incorrectly.. In my project I have a libraries folder called Surface Textures and it is pointing to the correct network folder/use style library is set to yes

It happens with any material that has a texture image.

I want my textures to all be stored in one central network location.

The color style shows this S:\ENGINEERING\Inventor Style Library\Textures\surfaces\Plastic_7.bmp which is where I want my textures.. 

I guess part of my question is why were these LibrarySurface texture folders being created?

I did delete those 3 workspace locations shown in the image and the error went away but I'm wondering why it happened in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi mcgyvr,

If you edit your Project file and expand the Options node in the Edit Project pane, you'll see the Using Unique File Names option. I typically recommend setting this to No even if you are using unique file names (which I also recommend). This setting doesn't really enforce unique file names, it merely searches for them. So I find it to cause more problems than it solves.

Where I find it to be particularly problematic is when I rename a file in order to purposely break a link so that I can resolve the link to a different file. For instance when working with derived parts and trying to point the part to a new revision of the derived part file. If Using Unique File Names option is set to Yes, Inventor searches every folder/file in the project and takes a long time to tell me what I already know: the file can't be found. However, if I set this option to No, Inventor immediately throws the resolve file dialog and allows me to redirect the link.

I've not noticed any problems with setting this option to No, but again we use a very structured file naming scheme that precludes non-unique file names from happening.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 3 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I have set it to No... We shall see. I ONLY see this issue with texture images.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 17

Curtis,

I know this thread is two years old, but I am getting this same message.

ERROR.PNG

This error started happening after we rearranged some files and folders in the vault.  A little reorganizing.

While I tried the above suggestion and it did work, the lingering question remains.  When the above suggestion is set to "Yes" and when this message does appear (sometimes repeatedly opening the same file) why when you pick the correct path does this path not stick?  Why if you were to check this file back into the vault saved and then recheck it out again does this very same message keep reappearing?  It appears to me that the above suggestion is just a bandaid fix (no offense Smiley Happy).  It seems to me that there should be some configuration or file that needs to be altered to allow this to stick.

I hope this makes sense.  Let me know your thoughts.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 17
swhite
in reply to: mcgyvr

Your assembly just lost a link to one of its parts and is letting you know several parts share that name. The software just wants you to tell it which one it should use in this assembly.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 6 of 17
Cadmanto
in reply to: swhite

Yes, I realize that.  But I don't understand after selecting the desired path, why it doesn't stick with the file and keeps reappearing everytime you open that same file.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 17
swhite
in reply to: Cadmanto

Well if you are using vault, be sure to rearrange the files using it, delete any off your hard drive and redownload the files from vault. Best bet, find the offending file and in the assembly select it and ctrl+h and replace it with the same file. This should reset it's location path plus keep all your current constraints.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 17
Cadmanto
in reply to: swhite

Yes, we are using Vault and all of the reorganizing was done within the Vault environment.

This is the baffling part.  All of the files were removed from the HD and yet when the proper path

was selected in that dialog window it still didn't stick.  Regardless if the files were on the HD, if the

path is chosen, the file should retain that selection and not continue to prompt you.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 17

Hi Cadmanto,

I believe this setting is doing it's job as designed. I might be wrong, but I think it will continue to tell you about the files that have the same name indefinitely, unless you rename one of the files to a different name.

I don't think it's really finding an unresolved link, it's just finding non-unique file names and letting you know about them.

My question would be: why do you have two files named the same thing?

I hope this helps.
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 17

I get this message a lot.  We've got a whole bunch of files that we've inherited from many many years of many many different drafters and engineers, and they didn't always use unique file names.  Also, I see this when I get a pack-and-go from someone else, and I've already got one or more of the files - usually in a hardware library.

The thing to do to make it stop appearing seems to be to save the assembly or drawing file after you tell it which part you want it to use.  Once you save the file, it should thereafter remember which one to use in the future.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 17

Hi Curtis,

It is not that we create multiple files with the same name as much as it is a case where we

moved these files around in the vault and then when rechecked out they seem to be recalling

past and present paths.  Now, if I am checking these out of the vault and over writing what is on the

local this message in theory shouldn't happen.  Right?

So whether they are on the local really shouldn't matter.  As far as selecting the correct path and then

saving the file, I have done that with no success.

This message makes sense if you are calling files up from the local and they exist in more then one location.

But if you are calling these files up from the vault and there is only one file in one location within the vault, then this message should not appear.  A specially if files were moved around within the vault.

This is why this message is confusing to me.

Inventor Suite 2012
Windows 7

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 17

Hi Cadmanto,

I don't use Vault enough these days to know it well, but from memory if you synch your workspace so that it cleans up the old paths and files to match what is vaulted, would that be a solution?

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2010/10/cleaning-up-your-vault-workspace.html

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 13 of 17

Curtis,

That sounds good and one would think that would work, but vault will tag the file with the sync symbol when it does need syncing.  So I would believe that if this pathing was an issue with the file, vault would tag it.

What I have experienced is the syncing occurs when revisions get changed and the properties within the file need to be updated.  Thus needing to be synced.

Like I said before, I really don't understand why this message occurs if files are coming directly out of the vault.  A specially if vault is supposedly take care of all links when things get renamed, moved or deleted.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 17

Hi Cadmanto,

Have you considered posting these questions to the Vault forum, maybe?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/bd-p/101

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 15 of 17

No, only because I was piggy backing this thread that was similar to what I was seeing and this is the forum it started in.  I can, but it appears to me that this issue is not exclusive to vault, but rather to Inventor seeing how the OP has the same message and vault was not the cause.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 17
swhite
in reply to: LT.Rusty

And if not replace that file with the exact same one using ctrl+h. You are correct, after saving it should update, although you may have to check out that part.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 17 of 17
swhite
in reply to: Cadmanto

I notice you know have two different stanfdard part directories. thus is because everytime you use a content center part or library part a copy is still placed on you HD. it no longer knows if you want to use the old file structure or the new file structure for old existing parts.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report