Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare --- Looking for an autodesk consultant in MA

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bscioscia
535 Views, 6 Replies

Nightmare --- Looking for an autodesk consultant in MA

Hello,

In the past, BOM's were not created in AutoDesk.  They were created in our MRP program.  That program is changing and we will no longer be able to create BOM's in our MRP program.  So, moving forward we will use Inventor to create and maintain BOM's....no problem there.  The problem is that we have 1000's of 2-D drawings with BOM's structured in the MRP program.  I have no idea how to get all of those parts in Inventor (without re-drawing all of them).  Since we will be using Inventor for revision control, any parts drawn in 2-D with the MRP BOM will no get updated when we update a component in inventor. 

So I need a consultant.  I am not familar enough with Inventor to figure this out.  I do not need a reseller! 

Thanks!

Brian

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lance127
in reply to: bscioscia

If I'm reading that right you are moving from a 2D drafting environment to Inventor 3D environment. If that is true then you will need to recreate the models in Inventor. The MRP issue sounds secondary to that.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 3 of 7

Hi jcosta, 

You might be able to use AutoCAD Mechanical to add an intelligent BOM to your existing 2D drawings. Can you post a typical example(s) of the type of drawings you're working with? Or at least screen shots of the drawings maybe?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 7

Brian,

Can you possibly clarify a few things?

My basica understanding is you have a bunch of 2D drawings with the BOM's created and controlled by the MRP that is no longer being used. You now want to take these BOM's and place them onto the Inventor 2D drawing? What are these 2D drawing made in? AutoCad? Are you in need of converting these 2D drawings into Inventor?

Please contact me by way of the email in my signature. I can help you out either by walking you through this process or if need be, having a few people take care of this for you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 5 of 7

Curtis

Thanks for the reply.  Below is a dwg screen shot and a typical MRP BOM screen shot.17605.png17605-L1 BOM.png

Message 6 of 7
cean_au
in reply to: bscioscia

Are you changing your drafting software from 2d autocad to 3d inventor? Are you still use your mrp software? If the mrp still running, you still can create bom with mrp. You can import new inventor bom into your mrp. That's is more easy than before. you old boms don't need any change. But for the Old 2d drawing, if you need to update, use your old autocad to edit, or use inventor to create new model and generate new 2d drawing. Update the bom with mrp. The final drawing is a PDF file, so it doesn't matter you use autocad or inventor to do the change. PDF is the king. Btw I saw you have next assembly in your title block, I have it on mine, but never use it. Just wondering what's that for?how to use it. Thx Cean
Message 7 of 7
bscioscia
in reply to: cean_au

Cean,

Thanks fore the info.  I never use it either!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report