Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie questions, sections, parameters, vault out of date

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
westcoast_Jeff
485 Views, 5 Replies

Newbie questions, sections, parameters, vault out of date

Hello,

I am new to Inventor and this user group so forgive me if these question have been asked before.

I have a long history with Pro/E (Creo) but have recently moved to Inventor with a new position.  I have a few basic questions.

Inventor 2011 build 282   Vault 2010 build 15.0.58.0

- How do I show parameters in the model tree?  It is hard to naviate when using simple number systems

- How do you create section views of parts?  I have a machined manifold with through ports

- When using Inventor with Vault, how can I open a part number without knowing the folder?  Is there a search?  Working with vault and directory folders seems a little cumbersome when there are a lot of folders.

- When using inventor with Vault and working with large assemblies, how can I find out what objects in my workspace are out of date?

Thanks,

Jeff

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi, I also have some questions regarding the sheetmetal workflow. Can you create solid models then convert them to sheetmetal and select which faces to remove and which edges are a rip or bend?
Message 3 of 6
cwhetten
in reply to: westcoast_Jeff

Hi and welcome to the forum!

How do I show parameters in the model tree?  It is hard to naviate when using simple number systems

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but if you go to the manage tab (are you using the ribbon or the classic interface?), there is a tool called Parameters.  This will open the parameters editor, which will list all parameters in the active document.  Click this link for the wikihelp article on parameters.

- How do you create section views of parts?  I have a machined manifold with through ports

On the view tab, you will find a tool to create section views.

Section View Tool.png

It is certainly available for sectioning assembly files, but I'm not sure which version they added the option to section part files.  It may have been 2011, but it might not have been until 2012.  Take a look for it, anyway.  If you don't have that tool for part files, post back and I will explain some other ways to do it.

- When using Inventor with Vault, how can I open a part number without knowing the folder?  Is there a search?  Working with vault and directory folders seems a little cumbersome when there are a lot of folders.

There are several search tools in vault.  See the picture below:

Vault Search Option 1.PNG

I have circled the three options.  One is just typing in the quick-search box to search multiple properties in the selected folder.  Clicking the double down arrow button next to the quick-search box (also circled in the picture) gives the query builder, seen below:

Vault Search Option 2.PNG

In the query builder you can search for different terms in specific properties.  To select other properties than the defaults, just click any of the fields with a drop-down arrow and choose your property.  The third option is the find wizard.  This can be accessed by clicking the icon that looks like binoculars (circled in the first image), and this is what you get:

Vault Search Option 3.PNG

You get the most advanced options with the find wizard, and you can also save your search criteria if you plan to perform this search again in the future.

- When using inventor with Vault and working with large assemblies, how can I find out what objects in my workspace are out of date?

The vault status icons in the vault client application show the status of your local files relative to their vaulted copies.  These are the colored circles next to the filenames:

Vault Status Icons.png

Click this link for a list of what all of the symbols mean.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 4 of 6
westcoast_Jeff
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks Cameron, your anwsers are very helpful.

For the 1st question I was asking how to show more than just the part number in the model tree while in assembly mode. Our company only uses simple part numbers so it is difficult to search in the model tree for items.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

I have a bunch of tutorials here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

particularly go through the AU and SkillsUSA documents at the top.

In Inventor you generally create the section views in the drawing rather in the model like you do in Creo.

You can do some section views (View Representations) in part (later) and assembly, but this works very differently than Creo.  Sectioning is generally done in the 2D drawing.

As far as sheet metal - you can convert back and forth, but I recommend the best way to learn the sheet metal is to model as much as you can, any way you can and then attach the file here and someone will show you an ideal technique.  There are a lot of tricks involved in sheet metal.

Post files often and don't beat your head against the wall.  There probably is an easy way, you will just need someone to point you in the right direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
rdyson

Sound like you may be looking for a part in an assembly,right?

You do know that you can RMB on the part in canvas and "find in browser"?

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report