Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie issue with multi-value parameters and assembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Millehuse
470 Views, 3 Replies

Newbie issue with multi-value parameters and assembly

Hey

I've tried searching through the forums and done a few parameters tutorials, but I'm coming up short on my problem. I've only used inventor for a few weeks, so I have very little experience. I've googled my way to different tutorials and other forum posts - but the majority of them seem to be with far more complex projects.

What I have is 2 very simple parts (will have to expand this later with a few more parts - but to keep it simple for myself and the learning process .. I'm doing it with only 2 parts).

Both parts are set up with a length parameter with multi-values.

The parts are put together in an assembly and here is where my knowledge comes to short. I would like to be able to change the length on one of the parts within the assembly, which then would trigger the other part to change to the "matching" length. This would make it possible for me to make quick drawings of different lengths faster (than making 10+ different parts to make 5 different drawings eg.)

Next step I'm guessing I have to set up some rules for it to work, but I cant change the lengths of the parts directly in the assembly - so I'm confused as to what my next step should be.

Using Inventor 2011 Pro

Edited: Clarification of problem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Millehuse

multi-value parameters are used with iLogic only. run through the iLogic tutorials to get a better idea of how to work with them.

another option is to use iParts, so you might look into the tutorials on that as well.

both iLogic and iParts are more advanced topics, but if you keep working with simple example files and run through the tutorials I think you'll be okay.

also, there are some other approaches that will work for single instances of parts, like Adaptive parts, but from what I gather, you're looking for more of a configuration solution, so I wouldn't get side tracked with adaptive parts if I were you.

I'm sure you'll have lots of questions as you go through ipart and ilogic (I did), post back with as much information as possible, and sample files when you can, and I'm sure you'll get lots of answers.

p.s. I didn't look at your sample files (I'm using 2010 right now) so someone else might be able to offer more advice related directly to them, if you're alread familiar with iLogic.

Message 3 of 4
MjDeck

I would recommend trying iParts and iAssemblies first.  If that doesn't do all that you want, then try iLogic.

Is it the case that for each size (parameter d9) of Part1, you have one corresponding size (parameter d0) of Part2?  If so, then you can use an iAssembly table with about 5 rows.  The iAssembly table would contain two Table Replace columns: one for each iPart.  It each row you would list a pair of iParts that fit together.

You would first convert your parts into iParts.  Instead of the multi-value parameter, add the parameters to the iPart table.  It's best to rename the parameters first.  Then you can fill in the iPart rows with the parameters value choices.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 4
Millehuse

I thank you both kindly for your answers - will look into both solutions and report back when I'm less confused 😃

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report