Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie can't re-position hole, can't move or delete hole, can't resize object

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
8753 Views, 17 Replies

Newbie can't re-position hole, can't move or delete hole, can't resize object

I can make a bracket object and add fillets, a chamfer and a properly sized hole but I can't position the hole to the proper location on the bracket, 3/8" from one edge and 7/16" from another edge. I can't get the hole to budge from its original location. Help doesn't seem to help, so I'm stuck. I can't even delete the hole! The Tutorials don't help and also reading Hansen's book on Inventor doesn't help. Hansen doesn't seem to say anything about positioning a hole. What's the trick?

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There are 4 ways to place a hole:

• based off a sketch (edit the sketh to move it)
  • based off linear inputs (edit the hole feature and click the dimensions on the part to move it)
  • based off a work point (redefine the work point to move it)
  • based off a concentric edge or face (not really away to move this one, other than redefining the concentric reference)

here's a video (if you can see youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUz9oH76aM4

I just noticed the above video was made by Thom Tremblay.

I have 2 of his books. This one is a very good beginner book:

http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Autodesk-Inventor-2009-LT/dp/0470375523

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

also here is a very good tutorial video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLyqAq2uNiw

I may look into buying the TheCADGorilla videos for our internal training, they seem very well done and are probably a much better value than training from our reseller.

Message 4 of 18
JDMather

Attach the file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks very much for the URL's of the utube videos. They are terrific! But I still haven't figured out how to move or delete an existing hole and can't see how to re-size or even move my bracket. Is there a way to move an existing hole?

BTW, I am using Inventor 11, not Inventor 2011. We can't afford to upgrade  to 2011, so perhaps Inventor 11 is the limitation, besides my own ignorance, that is. Smiley Sad Perhaps I should try the 30 day trial version for this project.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

It works pretty much the same in Inventor version 11. Post your part here using the Attachment link below:

Message 7 of 18
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

But I still haven't figured out how to ... delete an existing hole

Do you have your feature history browser dispayed?
Simply right click on the feature and select Delete.

You might read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks. Attached is my bracket. I can't move or delete the hole and can't move or resize the bracket. Of course, I could start over since the bracket is pretty simple, but starting over seems rather ridiculous.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Ah, "feature history browser?" What's that? I don't find "feature history browser" and Help doesn't list it. Of course, Help isn't very useful as far as I can tell.

I attached my bracket previously.

Again, thanks!

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

edit sketch.png

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

if you don't see the browser tree:

Go to menu "VIEW" Click "Toolbar", then click "Browser bar"
You most likely clicked on the little X at the top right of the browser bar turned it off.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks BMiller63! Your suggestion worked to delete the hole when I clicked on the Sketch for the Hole, but then I had to delete Hole (under Model) to actually delete the circle on top of the bracket. So maybe I can start over with the hole, using the utube videos as instruction. The replies to my posting have been incredibly helpful and I see that this Discussion Group is excellent; the responses are terrific, but Inventor is all very frustrating and painful for this Newbie, so I can't bring myself to insert a Happy Face.

Message 13 of 18
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... to actually delete the circle on top of the bracket. So maybe I can start over with the hole,

Once you get experience - deleting and starting over is not a good way to move or resize a hole.  The whole idea of parametric modeling is the ease of editing when a change is needed without doing rework.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks JDMather. But now I have yet another (Newbie) problem. I have placed a rectangular pattern on my bracket, but I can't see how to locate or position the pattern. It's my same old problem, how to position an existing pattern or hole or whatever. I can move the rectangular pattern, but I don't know exactly where it is and can't establish its location. Or is there not a way to do this, that I have to position it correctly when I set up that pattern or other feature?

Thanks for your infinite patience with this Newbie!

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Ok, got it, that is, I  used General Dimension to set the position of my rectangle on my bracket. However, I don't know exactly how I did it so may not be able to do it again. Then I made holes at the corners of the rectangle. Now trying to make a pattern of holes, 3 x 6 holes in a pattern between the first set of four holes.

Message 16 of 18
Millehuse

I would advise you to run a few basic tutorials -  they would be able to help you out with a lot of basic questions

* built in tutorial in Inventor

* youtube Gorilla CAD

* any link JD Mather throws at you (http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf + http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf + http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm)

* maybe even a book: Autodesk® Inventor® 2011 Essentials Plus

Edited: Came off cocky unintentionally, edited text.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks for the screen capture BMiller.

I have just started to learn Inventor after many years of using AutoCAD and I have run into a few different things that I've needed help with and this was one of them.

I think I have a good understanding of how constraints are being used in Inventor but when you wish to remove them from an item that still has me stumped.

But your solution here got me past my road block.

Radar

Message 18 of 18
jmackniak

how is this done in newer versions 2014 and 16

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report