Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Workstation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
edarlak
501 Views, 3 Replies

New Workstation

I'm in the process of specifying new hardware for some Inventor/Catia Workstations.

What I have selected:

Intel Xeon W3680 CPU

SuperMicro X8SAX-O MB

24 GB ECC RAM (Patriot or Kingston server RAM, 1.5V)

PNY Quadro 6000

Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro PS (I don't think I need the 1200W version with only one GPU)

Intel 120GB MLC SSD

Western Digital 2TB green HD

Cooler Master HAF 932 or 922 case (have not decided yet)

BlueRay Burner

I planned to get the systems from Xi Computers, but I can get all the same components from NewEgg for about $1500 less, and $200+ less on the shipping per box.  I have built probably 50+ computers in my time, so feel comfortable, but I do fear the RAM compatability of the SuperMicro MB.

I personally also will use the box for 3DS MAX.

My questions are:

1) The price difference between the Quadro 5000 and 6000 is huge, I'm wondering if the 6GB of video RAM is going to help me at all in Inventor, I know it will in MAX.

2) Our current boxes have dual Xeon Quad cores, and I decided to go to a single Xeon this time, as it seems Inventor can't utilize multiple cores very well, so I opted for a single CPU, but a better GPU this time.  Opinions on that decision?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
DarrenP
in reply to: edarlak

1. the quadro 5000 or 6000 might much for inventor but perfect for 3ds max if your using the iray renderer: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-3ds-max.html

2. 3ds max will use all that processor when rendering so will inventor if you use inventor studio

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: edarlak

I have no idea about Catia.. but that video card is WWWWAAAAAYYYYYY overkill for Inventor. The price of that card is roughly twice the price I paid for my whole computer . I'm using the card in my signature and have NO problems with Inventor.

That's also way more RAM than you need. 

IMO the most money should be spent on the fastest processor (most of Inventor can only use a single core) you can get. Then the fastest hard drives (if your not working on a network) Then RAM.. (To date I haven't used more than 6G of RAM total and I always have tons of other programs running and pretty decent sized models).

Your looking at spending way more than $5,000 when all you need is a $2,500 computer. I'm all about getting the best but there is a point when you are just wasting money.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 4
edarlak
in reply to: mcgyvr

"(To date I haven't used more than 6G of RAM total and I always have tons of other programs running and pretty decent sized models)"

I was just working on an assembly that used 16GB of my 24GB or RAM.

I'm glad I didn't just go with 8GB.

Now, looking at the GPU, yes, probably didn't need the Quadro 6000's for just Inventor (I wanted as many CUDA cores as I could get).  The GPU's have to last us 3-4 years.  I'm only allowed to buy in those intervals, no incremental upgrades, so even though I could buy a new gamer card once a year for each box, and still be less than a Quadro, I went for the best I could get. (Yes, 6GB or VRAM is overkill for Inventor)

IV2012 has been a disappointment however, and it does feel like a waste of $$ on those cards, considering the slowdown in performance when we migrated from IV2010 to IV2012 on the same hardware.

I still don't know about a gamer card on Catia, we keep adding more seats of Catia...  Next hardware upgrade, I'll have to investigate gamer cads with Catia.  My boss would rather have me spend more money on stable systems (Quadro), than screw around with trying to get a gamer card working on all of our various CAD applications.  Time is more valuable than a few $1000's spent on Quadro cards for sure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report