Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new project defoults setting

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
kmeldfreyssinet
1121 Views, 15 Replies

new project defoults setting

HI,

I would like every new project created to have "Content Center Files" path set to %project%/Content Center

Wher can I set defoult paths for content center files and design data for new projects?

Regards,

Cris

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet
Message 3 of 16
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: cbenner

The OP wants to set those options by default...

not have to do it each time he creates a new project.

afaik it is impossible?

To achieve the same/similar result I've taken to making a dummy project folder (containing the dummy .ipj) which I copy and rename for each new project.

Message 4 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

I think what Chris is saying is, that is where you would go to change the launch directory for the CC folders each time you create a new MP file.  If the OP is looking for a more automated method for doing this then maybe using iLogic would be the way to go.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 16

Hi,

I am looking for place whenr defoult paths for new projects are specified.

Dose onyone know wher it would be?

I know I can change this everytime I create new project, but this is annoying, and if I forgot to do this in the brginning some content center parts are placed in defoult location and are missing when I open project on difrernt computer via network.

They are also not coppied with project when I want to move, and they are lost or lost references when upgrading.

It is then extremly more convinient for me to have my contnet center files in project directory and I would like to set this as defoult for all new projects.

Regards,

Cris

Message 6 of 16
Cadmanto

Cris,

Other then what has been suggested (mainly the image Chris showed), I am not sure what else there is.  I have to ask though, why are you creating so many MP files?  I know there are companies that use multiple ones, but maybe two or three.  It sounds like you are creating these on a regular basis.  Why?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 16
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi,

what is MP file? I do not understend this shortcut / symbol.

Cris.

Message 8 of 16
Cadmanto

MP stands for "Master Project"

Sorry, I get so used to using the shortcuts that I forget that not everyone understands or knows them. Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 16
cbenner

These master projects are the .ipj files that determine your project parameters in Inventor.  Search paths for libraries, workspace, Vault Options etc.

Is this what you are referring to when you mention projects?

proj.JPG

Message 10 of 16
cwhetten

In the application options > file tab, there is an option for setting the default path for content center files.  If the project file doesn't specify a path, it uses the defaul path in the application options.

Default CC Path.png

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 11 of 16
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: cwhetten

Hi,

I tried that but it did not do what I expected.

When changed Content Center path in Aplication Options I did not get new project with this path assigned. It was still "defoult" and pointed to standard locartion ".../Users/......... etc".

So it did not work.

Maybe I dis something not wright.

Could you please show exumple how to set CC file path i Aplication Options to point to subdirectory coled Content Center in current project folder?

I did not find information how to defin Current project folder name as variane %something%.

Cris

Message 12 of 16
cwhetten

The following is how you set a "relative path" in your project:

Relative CC Project Path.PNG

A relative path is a way to specify a path that depends on the current project path.  So, wherever your project is located, you can use .\ to specify a subfolder.

However, you can't specify a relative path in the application options.  If you try, Inventor will complain and set the path back to what it was before you tried to change it.

So, I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you want.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 13 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: cwhetten

Cameron,

I'm still not convinced we are all talking about the same thing when we use the word "project".  I have a suspicion that the OP is referring to a new "job" as a project... not necessarily an Inventor Project file.  In which case (if I'm right), he wants to know how to set up a path such that his content center is under the job's root folder on whatever working drive he is in.  I may be waaaaaay off here, but I just have this feeling.

Message 14 of 16
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: cbenner

Hi,

I see there is some concern what I have in mind. So I explain:

By "PROJECT" - I mean new AI project file .ipj that contins information of paths, folders, libraries used in a project. So project  for me is some job like some particulare construction not rrelated to other jobs.

So what I would lilke to set defoult paths for Content center files in new projects created with "Projects -> new" thise are schown in "cbenner"post.

On that screanshoot you can see"defoult" that means that for this project this paths were set to some defoult value (this defoult walue is something like C:\users\......\Content Center".)

I wisch to know where this originall value that was set as defoult is and how can be changed.

My problem is that I do a lot of small jobs, and some big ones to, usind three diferent computers, network drive, at home and at work. So if I have CC ste to AI defoult path that is C:\........\ CC it relates to c:\ drive of computer I created project on. If forget to change this in the beginning I got CC parts placed in this folder.

Then if want to open project and work on another macine in another network environment I have all my CC parts missing.

(Pack and Go is not a solution.)

If I set path for CC in new project to ".\Content Center" everything is fine I just coppy whole folder, or accese it via network and nothing is missing because all files and paths are rellativ within project folder.

Sometims my libraries are missing but this is easy to fix, I just link the same library from diferent locations.

I tried to chang defoult content center path in application options but  it did not sseem to have any influence on defoult CC path in new project because it still was C:\users\.......\ Content Center.

Regards,

Cris

Message 15 of 16
cbenner

Hi again,

Thank you for clarifying.  It sounds like I was wrong.

The advice that Cameron (cwhetten) gave you should be the right path to take.  Set the "Default"  CC location in Application Options.  As to why your new projects don't take that setting, I'm not sure.

Message 16 of 16
CAG_DRAFT

This is a system I've inherited but here we have a master project file that covers 'everything', but we also setup job specific project files.

The master project file and the job specific ones contain all the same references to parts/appearance libraries, it's just setup like this so that each job has it's own workspace. (which is handy when each job can have anywhere from 1-100 top level assemblies)

But back to the OP's issue, like I said at the start of this thread, do it in windows, not inventor. 

Make a project file as a template and then copy and rename it instead of making new projects within inventor all the time.

I use it to make sure I've got extra appearance libraries in my new projects, I just checked to make sure it would keep a relative path to CC files and it does.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report