Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New help website?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
OmkarJ
664 Views, 17 Replies

New help website?

A new help portal for Autodesk Simulation CFD recently went online here. I wonder if there are similar plans for Inventor? I have already given up on Wikihelp!

Thanks

Omkar

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
-niels-
in reply to: OmkarJ

I just checked and the inventor help looks similar to what you linked, so i guess it's live now.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 18
OmkarJ
in reply to: -niels-

Yes, I just noticed. The new help clicks in Inventor are now directed to the new portal, instead of Wilihelp. A welcome change.

Cheers

Omkar

Message 4 of 18
jeanie.wayker
in reply to: OmkarJ

YES! The transition is complete for the Inventor R2014 help!  Inventor help is now live on Autodesk Knowledge Network (AKN): http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/

You will be redirected automatically to AKN and the Inventor 2014 help  when you access Help from within:

• Inventor 2014
  • Inventor 2013  
  • Inventor 2012

The AKN help is available in English only at this time.

We are excited to bring , Autodesk Knowledge Network (AKN)to you and we look forward to your participation and comments.

Please let me know of any questions,

Thank you,

Jeanie Wayker

Message 5 of 18

Hi  jeanie.wayker,

Can you help us find a way to link to a specific page on the new Help site?

For instance, if I go to the new site and search for "Centerline Bisector" I can bring up the page, but can not seem to find an easy way to point another user to the specific page about the Centerline Bisector tool.

Maybe I have just missed something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Autodesk Inventor Help Links.png

Message 6 of 18

Thank you for this question, Curtis. No you have not missed anything obvious. Please let me get back to you tomorrow on this. It is not as simple as it used to be. I am trying to identify an easy way to do this.

Again, please let me get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Jeanie

Message 7 of 18
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jeanie.wayker

@jeanie.wayker wrote:

YES! The transition is complete for the Inventor R2014 help!  Inventor help is now live on Autodesk Knowledge Network (AKN): http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/

You will be redirected automatically to AKN and the Inventor 2014 help  when you access Help from within:

• Inventor 2014
  • Inventor 2013  
  • Inventor 2012

The AKN help is available in English only at this time.

We are excited to bring , Autodesk Knowledge Network (AKN)to you and we look forward to your participation and comments.

Thank you,

Jeanie Wayker

Hey, that's great!  I'm definitely glad to have access to the help files for Inventor 2014.

That'd be real useful to me if y'know, I didn't still have Inventor 2013 at the office, and if you hadn't moved a whole bunch of stuff around in 2014, making my new help files pretty much irrelevant.

... and never mind how confused some poor guy will be when he's trying to find material settings help when using 2012.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
LT.Rusty

@jeanie.wayker wrote:

Thank you for this question, Curtis. No you have not missed anything obvious. Please let me get back to you tomorrow on this. It is not as simple as it used to be. I am trying to identify an easy way to do this.

Again, please let me get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Jeanie

When you need to add a help file to the help file ... there's a distinct possibility you might want to re-evaluate some of your assumptions.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 18

Hi LT.Rusty,

Jeanie's comment "It is not as simple as it used to be", refers to the task of linking directly to a topic. This was in response to my question, and not about help files themselves. I think the improvements she and her team have made are quite well done, and the speed improvement for using the help files is huge compared to the wiki system.

If you see room for further improvement, I would encourage you to take the time to share your thoughts in a constructive way, with specific examples so that others can understand the shortcomings that you are seeing. From the two posts you've contributed to this thread so far I understand that you're unhappy, but there's not much more information than that for someone to act on.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 18

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Hi LT.Rusty,

Jeanie's comment "It is not as simple as it used to be.", refers to task of linking directly to a topic. This was in response to my question, and not about help files themselves. I think the improvments she and her team have made are quite well done, and the speed improvment for using the help files is huge compared to the wiki system.

If you see room for futher improvment, I would encourage you to take the time to share your thoughts in a constructive way, with specfic examples so that others can understand the shortcommings that you are seeing. From the two posts you've contibuted to this thread so far I understand that you're unhappy, but there's not much more infomation than that for someone to act on.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Okay, to be more explicit:

Make Inventor 2013 Help Button Point To Inventor 2013 Help Files. 

Make Inventor 2012 Help Button Point To Inventor 2012 Help Files.

Thought I was clear about that, sorry.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 18

Hi LT.Rusty,

No it was not clear to me at all that you were asking for that. But I think that it is a very fair request. And thankfully it  happens that Jeanie has stated on her original thread (see link) that the goal is to have the older versions up later this year:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-ONLINE-help-is-now-live-on-Autodesk-Knowled...

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 12 of 18

OK my friends, here is how to identify the link that goes directly to the topic - This is a 2 step process to get the link:

1. Right-click on the page  and select View Frame Source ViewFrame.png2.

2. Copy the URL in the address bar, starting from http://

(include the full GUID string)

address_bar.png

For example, the link to this topic is: http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-3704539B-6510-4B68-A26C-5C4EF7235408...

Thank you,

Jeanie

Message 13 of 18

Hi Jeanie,

Thanks for the information. If your team is taking request by chance, I'd like to ask that the link be made more easily accessible. Possibly a SHARE button, or something similar that would make it easier for users to share links to a specific topic/page within the help files.

Thanks again,

Curtis

Autodesk Help Share Link.png

Message 14 of 18

Excellent idea.  Common problems and preferred solutions tend to get documented with in-house help manuals of varying types.  Making it easier to hotlink these into said manuals would be appreciated.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 18

YES, absolutely we want to collect your feedback for improvements. We will work with AKN (Autodesk Knowledge Network) to ensure we are continually making improvements to the site. Your ideas are great, and thank you so much for providing them. I will be sure your feedback gets into the right hands and is tracked.

Thank you,

Jeanie Wayker

Message 16 of 18
Cadmanto

Jeanie,

Now that I have had the opportunity to play with the new help file, I can definately see what Curtis is talking about and totally agree with what he is saying.  I do thank you for your suggestion on how to get around this for now.  I have been pasting screen shots of the help page up to this point.

So, I do look forward to this being fixed.

Is this thread a running thread, meaning if we have issues with the help page, however long in the future, we can post them here?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 17 of 18
dgorsman
in reply to: Cadmanto

We can always ask the Admin to sticky-pin the post.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 18 of 18
Cadmanto
in reply to: dgorsman

Good idea!!!  Consider it done. 

I know I have this thread floating so it will always be there for me.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report