Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new free tech preview on Autodesk Labs: Project Simulus mechanical simulation

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
scott.sheppard
3002 Views, 21 Replies

new free tech preview on Autodesk Labs: Project Simulus mechanical simulation

Project Simulus is a free technology preview that showcases a number of innovative approaches to mechanical simulation.

Project Simulus on Autodesk Labs

This technology preview offers powerful geometry modification capabilities through embedding Autodesk Fusion along with a very intuitive simplification environment to prepare various CAD models for different simulation studies. In addition, it provides you with easy and quick ways to set up and run many simulation studies, exploiting the power of cloud computing that leaves your desktop free of much of the computational burdens.

You can try it and send us feedback at labs.iv.simulus@autodesk.com or post to this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

So what's the feedback after day 1? Any thoughts?

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 22
dick_upton
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Does it have a Cancel Command?

Message 4 of 22
jeanchile
in reply to: dick_upton

Smiley Very Happy HA! HA!

That is a man on a mission right there.

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 22
mcmillr
in reply to: dick_upton

You can cancel a job using the Simulation Job Manager, which is in your application tray Job Manager

Open this app and you will see all your jobs. For queued or running jobs, you will have the option to Cancel.

Eventually this application will allow you to manage all job you have submitted from any Simulation app on your machine.

Rob

Rob McMillan
Software Architect, Fusion Simulation
Autodesk
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 22
dick_upton
in reply to: mcmillr

Guess I got owned. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22

NOW I see where all my subscription money is going, into a different software. Thank you sir can I please have another.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 8 of 22
henderh

Hi Scott,

I'm in love with it.  I'm still familiarizing myself with the steady-state thermal and coupled thermal stress.

I'm exploring a thermal simulation for heat generated during braking for a rotor-caliper system.  I've added a convective heat transfer load to simulate the cooling effect of the rotor vanes.  I haven't yet added the isotherm for the brake pad friction surface and thermal contacts for the rotor hat and caliper.

Best regards, -Hugh

Simulus_CAD_model.png

Heat_Flux.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 9 of 22
kstate92

There is one issue I don't understand: even though I have the 'Launch on System Startup' box on the Simulation Job Manager > Preferences > General tab unchecked, it STILL launches at startup, throwing the Job Status dialog up on screen (no jobs or file transfers active, by the way).  What the heck?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 10 of 22
mcmillr
in reply to: kstate92

Sorry, the 'Launch on System Startup' option isn't working, you can manually remove it from your Start menu, All Programs, Startup to work around this. When you run another job with Simulus it will launch automatically.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Rob McMillan

Autodesk

Rob McMillan
Autodesk
Message 11 of 22
kstate92
in reply to: mcmillr

Mainly, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.  Thanks for the info.  I have run a couple of static stress analyses and it has been nice to have.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 12 of 22
scott.sheppard
in reply to: kstate92

I just posted a new build for download.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/kraken/ 

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 22
StagerB

Question: In the Thermal Steady State analysis is there a way to see deformation scale by applying various temperatures? Or is this still in development?

Message 14 of 22
henderh
in reply to: StagerB

Hi StagerB,

Yes, it does.  Attached is a deformation image of a coupled thermal stress simulation, where two strips of dissimlar metals are bonded and then raised 20 degrees C from the intial temperature.

Please let us know if you have additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Thanks! -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 15 of 22
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: henderh

Hi,

Can we have a tutorial in which the thermal boundaried are explained? 

For example lets take a steel pipe in wich the inside surface is heated to 80 C

and we can see whats the temp on the outside surface.

Thanks

Dan 

Message 16 of 22
Dan_Margulius

For example in the picture, i would expect to see the

heat expand trough the part and get cooler temp on the outside.

Maybe mysetup is wrong, I dont know

Dan

Message 17 of 22
Vitellik

Hello,

I am trying to use it for thermal steady evaluation of thin layers (steel plates) insulated.

I have to apply convection inside and outside.

Two issues:

1. I get an error about my thin object:

230264.sim: Study 1 - Thermal: Error: Body 'Simulation Model:1/230264.iam:1/230264_SFT:1' is thin.
                 230264.sim: Study 1 - Thermal: Asynchronous cloud solve failed.

2. may I change properties to customized materials?

Apart from this, looks to be a very easy to use interface.

Thanks

Mario

Message 18 of 22
henderh
in reply to: Dan_Margulius

Hi Dan,

The initial temperature is 20 deg C, or 68 deg F (room temperature) unless an applied temperature exists.

For your pipe or wheel rim example, you would need to apply different temperatures to different faces for steady-state heat transfer to occur.  Either that or apply heat flux or convection to the other face(s) that do not have the applied temperature.

By applying a single temperature to one face or a set of faces, in steady-state, the entire part will eventually become that specified temperature.  This is because there is no heat leaving the body, as faces without any applied 'boundary condition' is treated as adiabatic (no heat transfer).

One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot apply an applied temperature + heat flux (or convection, etc) to the same face.  It is somwhat similiar to applying a force and fixed constraint to the same face in LSS.

Hope this helps!  Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 19 of 22
mcmillr
in reply to: Vitellik

Mario, unfortunately there is a limitation in the Simulus tech preview which is preventing it from processing parts that are very thin. We should be able to handle these sorts of models in a future update.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert McMillan

Project Simulus Team

Autodesk

Rob McMillan
Autodesk
Message 20 of 22
Dan_Margulius

I love Simulus. It is awsome. When can we have this as part from Inventor. Next week maybe ? 🙂 

Also we would like to have a launcher from Inventor to Simulus.

Regards,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report